Do you think women end up better off after divorce?
Married Life / 11:32 PM - Sunday July 11, 2010

Read an article where one of the comments was that the woman always ends up better off after a divorce because she gets half "his stuff." From what I've seen, women are never better off. Women keep the lion's share of responsibility over the children, keep working or start working if they didn't before, and are less likely to remarry (and if they do, it takes a lot longer for them to find someone).

I don't think they are better off financially but perhaps emotionally they are happier getting out of a miserable relationship.

CHE-YEAH!

- Response by cosmicdog0, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Denver, Science / Engineering

Hmmm....'half his stuff'?? If you were married, it's not HIS stuff...it belongs to both of you. So, if you get divorced, you get your half of the stuff.

Most women are financially worse off after divorce because their earning power isn't usually as good as the husbands.

Your state of mental health will be better, though, if you were unhappy. For me, getting divorced was like being reborn. I have never regretted it for even a moment.

- Response by sunlady1120, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed

You are so right on this.I got half of nothing and raised my kids myself.

From what I've seen amongst my friends, women who were earning a decent living along with their husband during the duration of their marriage do better after divorce than women who were stay-at-home mom's that had to return to work.

- Response by A Married Girl, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Better than what?
Better than what she had before she was married? Proably.
Better than what she had while she was married? No, you can' split one thing into 2 parts and have either part larger than the original.
Better than him? Definately, though no woman would ever admit it. All they will do is complain. But if you really want to know about their other halves, go down to a homeless shelter, it is full of post divorce men, whose wives got the house while he got the mortgage.

You are claiming women getting the kids as a negative, fine let the guy have the kids and have her pay him child support.

It is funny I was just talking to some people who are divorced or going through one, 5 out of 6 people in the group kinda sad actually, and they all said judges are easier women then men, They tend to take their word over the man's and get what they ask for in the settlement.

- Response by electroman, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Charlotte, Science / Engineering

Everyone loses in divorce. If there are kids involved, then they lose out the most. The loss of a childhood is so lamentable.

- Response by timeforanoverhaul, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Managerial

well the way i see it. nobody really wins when it comes to divorce.

- Response by robcoser, A Creative, Male, 36-45, Los Angeles, Managerial

The man ends up better off! Obviously, cuz he don't care how much it cost to get rid of her... Just get her the hell out! LoL

- Response by ribbert, A Hip Hop Guy, Male, 26-28