Quote from Barack Obama's Dreams of My Father
Race, Religion & Politics / 9:47 AM - Monday July 05, 2010

In Dreams of My Father, Barack Obama wrote, on page 55, about his only job working for a business (prior to his time in law school and then as a community organizer, senator, etc.) He describes his time working for a business as "Like a spy behind enemy lines...."

I found that interesting.

what do you think?

Update: July 05, 2010.
Here is the quote in context from Chapter Seven of his book: "And so, in the months leading up to graduation, I wrote to every civil rights organization I could think of, to any black elected official in the country with a progressive agenda, to neighborhood councils and tenant rights groups. When no one wrote back, I wasn't discouraged. I decided to find more conventional work for a year, to pay off my student loans and maybe even save a little bit. I would need the money later, I told myself. Organizers didn't make any money; their poverty was proof of their integrity. Eventually a consulting house to multinational corporations agreed to hire me as a research assistant. Like a spy behind enemy lines, I arrived every day at my mid-Manhattan office and sat at my computer terminal, checking the Reuters machine that blinked bright emerald messages from across the globe. As far as I could tell I was the only black man in the company, a source of shame for me but a source of considerable pride for the company's secretarial pool. They treated me like a son, those black ladies; they told me how they expected me to run the company one day." I am really surprised that people who voted for him did not read his book beforehand... it's very well written, a good read... but it does have passages that are troubling for people like myself who are Libertarian in our philosophy.

- Asked by curvysmartgirl, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Dallas, Artist / Musician / Writer

"Organizers didn't make any money; their poverty was proof of their integrity."

Oh, I get it now. By sinking this country into an economic pit of miserable socialist poverty, he's really just trying to make us all more honest. Gee, maybe he's not such a bad guy.

- Response by rooster1eye, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Las Vegas, Executive

"a spy behind enemy lines"....I don't find it interesting; only disturbing...and I voted for the guy. He's well on his way to making us a truly socialist country; hopefully, the services will improve (health care, environment, ss) and all the money won't just be squandered....

- Response by nnjmale, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Executive

It probably felt more like a "spy" because he had to use a fake ID/Social Security number to get a job.

he's made it perfectly clear in his actions and words that he is TOTALLY UNQUALIFIED to be president. he LACK chief executive skills, he lacks the people with those skills around him (instead surrounding himself with all his staff that got him elected) and he doesn't know the most BASIC part of what it means to be an American. WORKING is a NORMAL part of life...be it as the low man on the totem pole or the one at the top.

I think the line is a brief glimpse at the extent to which Barack Obama hates America.

- Response by A Rebel, Male, 46-55

Oh come ON. I think you're looking for something where nothing exists. This post makes you sound like a "birther" and you're WAY smarter than that.

There are two kinds of people in this country. Tax payers and tax eaters. Obama is a lifelong eater (as are most politicians).

Business gets a bad rap, but it's what makes our lives better. It provides jobs, it gives us goods and services, and improves everyone's standard of living. What do politicians do to help people? Nothing. They sit on their asses, live off our tax money, and figure out new ways to harass those who actually DO something with their lives.

I have several socialist friends who get mad at me over economics all the time. What do they have in common? Public sector jobs. They all think everyone can get a taxpayer-signed paycheck just for showing up. They love to shit on private business, but they overlook that they wouldn't be able to have their cushy jobs without the taxes that we pay. It's very hypocritical.

- Response by jophus, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Artist / Musician / Writer