Responsibility of transportation in child visitation
Family & Parenting / 1:04 PM - Friday July 02, 2010

non-custodial Father does not drive. The paternal grandmother agreed to come pick up baby and Mother for visitations from 1 -6 every Sunday. She did it the first time, and is now complaining she was in the car for too many hours. Isn't it up to the visiting parent to be responsible for this transportation?

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 66 or older

Unfortunately the courts don't care how the children get there and if the deadbeat parent can't come to pick them up you're expected to take the child to them or you can face contempt charges. My sis-in-law has children with a drug addict who doesn't even pay child support but he took her to court when she refused to drive the kids to him and the judge sided with him! When she refused to cart the kids around to see him, they threatened to put her in jail if she didn't comply, which is ridiculous.

It is the shared responsibility of any and all who love and care about the child.

No. It is up to the non-custodial parent to arrange transportation if he wants to see the child.

- Response by helgal427, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older, Self-Employed

There is no rule about who is responsible for transportation. A good mother would want her child to spend as much time with father as possible. Children raised with their fathers do better in every way that can be studied and measured. Thousands of studies all show that outcome. Instead of arguing, work for the good of the child.

This law is written out clearly in deatil in every state.

It would depend on your state so you would have to look it up, but you could show it to them once you find it. =-)

- Response by cutypy5840, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Medical / Dental

In Louisiana you can have it put in the divorce papers. Most times that i have known of this, the parents met half way. I dont even try that crap with my ex, I WANT to see my kids so I drive to get them every other week end. They live about 30 miles away one way. do whats best for the children.

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, New Orleans, Transportation

I would think if they want to see the child they could arrange transportation. However, with our kids (both his and mine) we ended up providing all transportation every time both ways. but we were the ones who wanted our kids to have relationships with their other parents while the other parents could have cared less too. So it's all up to you and what you want. If you don't want to do it, let them do it or not see the kid. Unless the courts order otherwise do it however suits you. One thing to think about though is how the child will see it in later years. Is there public transportation? I personally wouldn't want to go without my own vehicle so I could leave when I wanted but that's just me. If grandma was very interested in seeing her grandchild she would just shut up and do it. I drive 1900 miles each way to pick mine up for the summer and take them home and we have fun doing it. But I want to have them for summers too so it's worth it. I realize this isn't exactly answering your question but to me, it's all a matter of personal preference unless the courts decree otherwise.

- Response by tootcat, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Retired

Legally speaking, I don't know the answer. But, practically speaking, I would not provide transportation to the other party. If I was going to visit my child then its up to me to find transportation. The visitor should figure out a way to get there.

- Response by infantrystud, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Military

If it's too much for her, isn't it also too much for the baby? Read the custodial agreement carefully. If the terms are not clearly stated, find out what the general law is in your state.

I've never heard of the custodial parent having to provide transportation for the non custodial parents visitation. I know where I live if the non-custodial parent can't find their own transportation,that's their problem.

Yup. Why do you ask? This should be clear in your divorce declaration. Sounds like you are a Grand mum who is shaking her stick. Let the kids work it out.

- Response by rastis, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Managerial

I'm surprised at some of the responses that are saying it is 100% responsibilty of the non-custodial parent to provide transportation. That's completly unfair! These are the types who do most harm to the kids because they don't fathom that perhaps the kids want to see thier other parent. These people only care to see the non-custodial parent punished further. I am the non-custodial parent and I have been transporting my children both ways for the last 6 years, yet I have been villified if I run a few minutes late because of traffic, or needing to work overtime. So I decided to file a motion in court so my ex could share the burden for the sake of our kids. My case is pending.

- Response by jamlo65, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55