Question to the men; when you go on vacation w/o your GF, do you call her while away?
Dating / 12:34 PM - Thursday July 01, 2010

question to the men; when you go on vacation w/o your GF, do you call her while away?

Or do you figure, your on vacation and just think, I'll call her when I'm back -- kinda thing. When we can make plans.

I ask this because The guy I'm dating, now for over a year, goes away, say to see his Dad or meet up with college friends, and before he leaves, tells me when he is leaving and when he is coming back. In between, I rarely hear from him. Maybe a text. Maybe a call. This is when he is gone for say, a week at a time.

While away, don't you want to check in with your GF, don't you just miss her and want to hear her voice, make sure all is good in her world, or do you call out of obligation and if she seemed ok with your not calling would you not do so?

Or do you not call when you are just not that into the girl you are dating?
Or perhaps you just concentrate on the here and now and just think, I'll see her when I get back?

Sorry for the long question! Thanks :)

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

If someone is as big a part of your life as a long-term significant other, I'd think you would miss them and want to call.
That's just me. Some people are more loners and can go awhile without calling. Doesn't mean they don't love the person, just that they have a different style of communication.
I once took a vacation without calling my girl friend for a week, but that's because I didn't really have access to a phone where I was.

- Response by falsehammer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Kansas City, Consulting

If he's off with the boys I leave him alone, but he usually calls anyway.

It depends on the vacation, some you don't have time for a phone call, others location hampers it. I camp + hike, so reception and recharging are major issues. In a weeks vacation I'd probably call once or twice, don't read so much into it. It makes you look clingy.

When my guy goes away for about a week or so, I'll get a call once or twice in that week, and maybe an email if he has access to a computer. That's enough for me, and I don't want to bug him because he's on vacation and trying to enjoy himself. I know he'll tell me every detail when he gets home anyway.

- Response by steff81, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Teaching

If I am away I call every day if not more than once a day. I miss her when we are apart.

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, New Orleans, Transportation

Me personally, I like to at least talk to my s/o every day, even if I'm gone on on a trip, and going on vacation would seem to include her for me.

- Response by grinandbareit, An Engaged Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

When we are apart, we text or call once a day just to say 'thinking of you and love you'. Neither one of us likes to talk on the phone, though, so these are very short.

It depends on where he's going. I doubt if he;s going camping with friends he's in a place with reception.

- Response by A Player, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

I call twice a day, and probably text a few times a day also.

- Response by fas2005, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Pittsburgh, Science / Engineering

Maybe since you aren't calling him, he just assumes you are out on dates with other guys and doesn't wantto bother you.

That and I guess you don't want to hear his voice or think about him since you can't be bothered to pick up the phone. Let me guess, you don't ever call him when he isn't on vacation. You just let him do all the work. My point being I don't see where you are making an effort, so I don't see where you have a right to complain. You get what you give out of a relationship and if you aren't getting phone calls when he is out of town, it says alot. You aren't making him want to keep contact.

Just somethings to think about. If you aren't doing things on your end, you can complain when others don't do it for you...

I was going out with a girl for 3yrs when I had to leave for a week to a family wedding in which she was invited but could not attend. In that time I didn't call her and it wasn't because I was too busy, it was because she was on my mind but I actually just missed being alone. Her and I saw and talked everyday for years and that week apart was like a breather that I needed. In retrospect, I should have called her everyday just so she knows I'm thinking about her.

- Response by A Creative, Male, 29-35, Vancouver, Technical