Am I legally bound by a verbal job offer?
Career / 8:27 PM - Saturday June 19, 2010

Two weeks ago I accepted a job offer verbally. I was set to start on Monday, but due to problems with their screening company I am going to have to wait another month before I can start (they only start new training classes once a month).

Meanwhile, I got a call yesterday from another company to set up an interview. If the interview goes well, then I would be inclined to accept a position with them as long as they could start me sooner and the salary was similar.

Am I legally bound to the first company?

No you're not... Take what comes and if they call in a month, simply say you couldn't wait and took another job. HOWEVER, If you can, don't burn your bridge with the first company. You may decide in 3+ weeks to quit and try the first place. Keep it as a backup if you can.

- Response by rayannem86, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Hospitality

Unless you have signed a contract, no.

- Response by chessplayer, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Administrative

Not for a job, not even a written contract is enforceable unless there is a loss to the company or even you, and then you or them have to pay the loss. Otherwise, it would be slavery. If you make a written contract, as I said, and the company put out money to hire you as part of the contract, you may have to make the company whole again, but you do not have to work for them. But even in a verbal contract, if they can prove you cost them money, you might still have to pay that back.

- Response by phoenixbandit, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Columbus, Law Enforcement

It used to be, years ago, that a verbal contract was a binding contract... however, as employment goes, that one is out the window along with loyalty to the 'company'.

If you get a similar paying job elsewhere, especially after the unplanned and uncertain delay, tough luck to the dumb bunnies who lost you.

You could tell them you really needed to start sooner...but I would take the sure job, or the one YOU want the most. You might not get the 2nd job...I would not say anything yet.

If it's legal, it's been signed.

We no longer live in the days where a verbal word and a handshake were sufficient to seal loans from banks. Nowadays, if you have not made your mark on paper (or made a electronic signature), you are not legally bound.

I don't think you would be legally bound. Now, if the interview goes well and your offered the position, I would take the new position(if it's what you want), but I would call the first company and let them know you couldn't wait that long and you had to take another position. Most companies will understand.

- Response by wildiris70, A Hippie Chick, Female, 36-45, Self-Employed

No. As long as you didn't sign a written contract for work. And since it sounds like the position is contingent upon the passing the "screening" and they screwed up, you are not obligated to them if another offer comes along.

u are not legally bound even if u have the job

You are NEVER bound legally to anything that does NOT haver your signature on a piece of paper. Just make sure the way you handle this, doesn't cause you to lose BOTH JOBS.

You are not legally bound but are honour bound<
if you expect decent treatment you have to give it too<

I would not think that you would be legally bound to a verbal agreement. It would be a case of "he said, she said". I don't know what state you live in, but I doubt there is a law covering verbal agreements. If the company suddenly decided to hire someone else, they would not be bound by them verbally agreeing to hire YOU. You would get an 'I'm sorry, we decided to hire someone else.' And out the door you would go! Take the best offer. Good luck.

- Response by gingham, A Cool Mom, Female, 66 or older, Baltimore, Construction