Unresponsive new boss won't return my phone calls or respond to my e-mails
Career / 11:06 AM - Saturday June 12, 2010

Hi -

I got offered a new job and the new boss wanted me to quit my old job right away and I told him I couldn't do that. He then told me that he was going to hire another candidate and I said fine. He called me back two weeks later and offered me the job again. I told him again about the notice requirement and he reluctantly agreed this time.

He promised me a certain salary on the phone but when he sent written confirmation of the salary details, the salary was different than what we spoke about. I pointed this out to him and we eventually agreed upon a salary. So I submitted notice of my resignation to my current employer.

I'm still working for my old boss but I have gone into the new job a couple hours each day, before and after work, for unpaid training by the person I will be replacing. I have also met with clients pro-bono so that they can get to know who I am.

The problem is my new boss has not replied to any of my e-mails or phone calls requesting that I meet with him to finalize terms of the job such as how much health insurance costs are and whether I'll be taking on added responsibilities that fall outside of my job description but that my predecessor handled. I made about 2 phone calls and 3 e-mails. Next week my predecessor wants to continue to introduce me to clients - even though I haven't officially started yet, am not being paid, and have not heard from the boss.

I'm scheduled to officially start on July 1 but based on the way things are going I have doubts about the professionalism of the organization. The boss is the one who handles human resources duties and I'm afraid that he won't gather my paperwork so that I can start getting paid. I'm really interested in your thoughts on how to handle this predicament.

Thanks.

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 36-45, New York, Who Cares?

The new job doesn't sound worth it. They don't sound honorable. Working for someone, to me, shows that you support the company and their actions. From what you have posted, I wouldn't support them.

- Response by spud, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Student

It sounds to me as though you were entirely up front and professional with this new boss of yours, but things just don't seem to be "adding up" well in my book...

Is there any chance that you can go back to the job you gave up?? Something smells, here, and it's not my old socks!!

Good luck!!

- Response by husband, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Transportation

Good luck!!

Stay with your old job.

- Response by sleeksasy06, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?