Hyphenated names and divorce?
Married Life / 9:38 PM - Wednesday June 09, 2010

Hyphenated names and divorce?

If prior to divorce you hyphenated your name, does this have to change once the divorce is official? Does a hyphenated name signify that you are married? And would you just take either your maiden name or husbands name for the sake of the kids?

- Asked by A Sportif, Female, 29-35, Los Angeles

You keep the same name you had when married unless you petition a court for a name change. If you want a change, there is no convention. You can change it to anything you want.

People choose all avenues in names...

Does it really matter? I think not...

Do what works best for "you", and your family! :)

Hyphenated names usually mean you have registered as a democrat. You may or may not drive a Volvo.

- Response by newyorkjoe, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Lawyer

You can keep your name, just as it is, with the hyphen.

Or you can drop the hyphen and all that is to the RIGHT of it.

The choice is YOURS. Either is legal.

If it was done legally, then that's still your name after the divorve just like a woman who is divorced still has the married name(the husband's name) if she wants to use it.Many women keep the husband's name afterward because yeah, the kids have that name so it doesn't look strange or sound strange for the children's sake at school etc.
But it is whatever you want to do--I'd probably go back to my original last name --why keep the other? unless like I say, it is for your childrens's sakes.

- Response by springrain13, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65