Are you interested in research?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 5:24 PM - Tuesday June 08, 2010

Are you interested in research?

Current research has the potential to cure diseases that are currently incurable.
Sadly many people are unaware of how important research is until it affects their families.
I believe the future of humanity depends on Scientific research and exploration.

- Asked by philosopher1, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55

Yes research is importaint. But Society treats researchers horribly and many are avoiding it. It has little to do with money but has more to do with tons of regulations and a society that considers you a weird geek and outcast for being a scientist.

And along with that, the "cure" market is controlled by big pharma for the most part. If they "cure" anything, they loose the mega bucks they get from their product lines.

What bothers me is the bio engineering going on by companies like Monsanto [the largest] that are messing with the DNA chains of the worlds food sources.

I believe that a lot of the diseases affecting us today were man-made and created in a lab as a means for the Government to control the population and allow the drug companies get rich. So I don't agree that more money should be poured into these projects. Secondly I don't place much hope in the hands of scientists who can't find a cure for the common cold finding a cure for more menacing illnesses like cancer, MS, Alzheimer's and autism even IF they aren't the ones creating them.

I'd be more interested in research projects if scientists were experimenting on the useless inmates sitting in prisons that we get to spend millions of dollars to support every year, instead of poor defenseless animals. I have a huge problem with animal testing which is why I don't support any of the current disease causes. However that is just my opinion and you're entitled to feel the complete opposite.

Have a lovely afternoon. :)

research is what got us to where we are now.It is important to continue.

Hi! I will answer this. Whilst I agree with you, people were asked to be 'guineapigs' and asked to partake in a testing of a cure..they were paid for it. Well they did and it had catastrophic effects.. they were unlucky.. very sad that a person died and others were left with the result of the most awful side effects that they will always have. This however was an unusual case.

I had a letter just the other day asking me to partake in another experiment on research and to be paid quite a vast sum of money. I just couldn't, I wanted to, not for the money but to help.. but I couldn't bring myself to..

- Response by heatherjune123, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, London, Who Cares?

agreed, without hesitation.

some humility, genuine altruism, social equity, purging of xenophobia, destruction of all nuclear weapons, and the wholesale abandonment of organized religion would also help mankind survive another 100 years, or so.

There are thousands of researchers on the brink of finding a cure or at least a stablizer for many diseases, and they are just out of money. Some are quacks and have no idea what they are talking about, most are just right there, especially on gene therapy. Each of them find a benefactor only when a person has a child that has the unusual disease/problem and that parent either goes out to established pharmaceuticals or an upstart. The upstarts are easier to deal with. Most problems is the FDA, getting the new treatment or cure approved. Most of the time, from first start to approval it 10 to 30 years, in the meantime, those that could have been helped die. The approval is necessary to keep people from taking advantage of people that are desperate for a cure for a loved one, but the approval also hinders. Personally I think that once it is over, the let the sick person take anything that isn't obviously going to kill them. If it doesn't work, they are no worse off.

- Response by phoenixbandit, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Columbus, Law Enforcement