Do you believe the way your children behave is a reflection of you?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 12:27 PM - Thursday May 27, 2010

Or do you believe they are, who they are; has nothing to do with you?

- Asked by bts4life20, A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28, Self-Employed

It's a combination of a lot of things! Certainly, how you raise a kid makes a HUGE impact on how they live their lives as adults. No substitute for good parenting.

But, sometimes no matter how hard you try, kids are going to do their own thing -- some just take longer than others to grow up and others never seem to. They just have to learn the hard way.

I believe that ultimately most "kids" do the right thing if they're given the right foundation .. sometimes even when they aren't. As adults they make the choice about how they want to live their lives.

As long as parents give it their best shot and let their kids know they'll be there for them if they really need it --- it all works out.

- Response by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

yes i believe that the way children behave is a reflection of you

- Response by delialove, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

you give them a hug and they will give there kids a hug that way you will be part of the solution

- Response by tytbo, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Indianapolis, Who Cares?

Hugely we are resonsible for the way they are, they develope based off what we teach them. They end up being themsevels, but with a bit of Mom, Dad, brothers or sisters. Grandparents, aunts and uncles.....

It has something from everything involved to make up their behavior....basics is genetics yes, but that doesn't always mean that how they behave is the reflection of the parent. I believe it's a case by case situation and can't be compared to each other's situation.

Their individual personality is at the core of their behavior, but the parent's example and teachings mold the child's behavior for sure.

- Response by 1junebug, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45

children do have their own personalities but they go off of what they see and the react accordingly

in the end its a bit of both themselves and what they've learnt/seen

- Response by mistypeaks, A Hippie Chick, Female, 22-25, Edmonton, Body Work

Of course it reflects on me. Sometimes I wonder what I could differently but overall they are pretty good. lol

Children learn what they learn from the closet thing to them, you. So whatever it is they do, their personality is mostly a mimic of their parents.

- Response by 2jacksam, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Denver, Self-Employed

I have no kids, but I am a teacher. I think in 95% of cases, the children's behavior is a direct reflection on the parents. There are so many instances where as soon as I meet the parents, I completely understand why their children act the way they do. For example, I have a student who makes excuses for everything, and nothing is his fault. Well when he gets in trouble, his mom finds ways to blame everything but the kid, and he is in 8th grade! She has taught him, indirectly by her actions, that he can blame others for all his problems. Now there is the rare case where the parents really are doing all the right things and the kid just doesn't listen or do the right thing.

- Response by brando1002, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Chicago, Internet / New Media

I have always thought so..thats why I can't STAND parents who do not disapline their children

- Response by gregslove77, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

I do. I taught mine to be proud of their name and never tarnish it. To be an individual not a sheep following others. Just like I was taught. Rosey

The younger they are, the more it IS a reflection on their parents.

Once they're on their own, it's THEIR responsibility to behave.

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession