How do women in third world countries or tribal societies deal with menstruation?
Sex & Intimacy / 1:32 PM - Monday May 24, 2010

I'm thinking of societies where women run around naked (like in parts of African and New Guinea). I've always wondered if they just bleed out or if they use some sort of cloth...or if they merely sit somewhere in isolation during this time.

Please, only answer with an answer, not with "I don't know." Thanks.

I did a little research for you, because I was curious as to what the answer is. Anyway, someone named Tracy answered your question to another woman who asked a couple of years ago. Here's her answer: "They have pads and tampons in foreign countries, too. However, in really poor, traditional/tribal places, women likely use rags that they wash and re-use, just like women the world over did before the 20th century and the invention of disposable items for menstruation.

Many really environmentally conscious women in Western countries use reusable cotton pads they wash and re-use. The water they are soaked in before washing is said to be very good for plants. They call it "moon water."

- Response by bnotafraid, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Artist / Musician / Writer

They are isolated during this time. Ever hear of the "Menstrual Tent"?

And they don't have tampons or pads... so they use cloth.

This is in answer to the person who stated that the isolation would suck..lol. In fact quite the opposite is true. Most women in developing lands have lighter periods of shorter duration than their industrialized counterparts. This is their time to take a vacation every month from their huge responsibilities and chores such as halling water from the well (5+ miles), going to the market (10+ miles by bike or foot), starting fires for meals (takes up to 2 hours), etc. The eldest daughter(s) and son(s) assume these responsibilites until her return. This gives them the op. to prove themselves to family members and prospective mates within the village. Total win-win!

- Response by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55

Where do you think the expression "on the rag" came from? Woman here used to do it also.

Indians use to have a special teepee set up for women....when they got their cycle they would go to this teepee for the duration of the cycle and then return to their own teepee after.

I think you nailed it with the sitting in isolation one. ;) Wouldn't that suck?!

- Response by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35

Interesting responses. I didn't know about the teepee tent. If we still used that system, I guarantee you we'd have less claims of PMS.

- Response by etbass, A Creative, Male, 36-45, Executive

I am the Community Manager for Tampax and Always and saw your question. As you might expect, commercial products to manage periods are available globally. I have been to some really remote locations and found that Tampax and Always were available for purchase. Since your question focuses on remote societies, I thought you might be interested in an article on the Tampax website on the history of menstrual protection. Note that tampons have been used far back into recorded history.

http://www.tampax.com/e n-US/aboutTampax/aboutT ampax.aspx?utm_source=a nswerology&utm_medium=N ursePlum&utm_content=li nk20110224&utm_campaign =comm_mgr

- Response by nurseplum, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Charlotte

I don't know, thanks.

- Response by sphincterboy, A Trendsetter, Male, 66 or older, Dhaka, Celebrity