I'm not exactly bulemic, but I make myself throw up sometimes.
Diet & Health / 5:27 PM - Sunday May 23, 2010

Please don't be rude. This is a serious issue that has plagued me for years.

I started making myself vomit around age 14 or 15. There have been periods of my life when I'll vomit once per day. There have been weeks and even months when I haven't vomited AT ALL. And there has been everything in between.

Currently I vomit about once per week. This does not qualify as bulemia, according to the medical definition.

Times when I'm very stressed out I tend to vomit more frequently.

The vomiting is a compulsion. If I overeat or feel badly about something I ate, I become anxious to expel the food. Once I vomit, I feel immediately relieved. It's as if my sense of control has been restored.

I have only told this to a few people in my life. I feel guilty and ashamed. I wish I could stop. Sometimes I can refrain. When I'm in a particularly stressful time, I can't "just stop."

Are there people out there like me? "Not quite bulemic" but you know something is wrong? What can I do?

Update: May 23, 2010.
For clarification: the medical definition of bulimia nervosa states that the person must throw up twice per week for three months or more. I don't fit those parameters. I've thought of getting help so many times, but I'm scared of my problem being dismissed for not being "severe" enough. Something is wrong, I know that. I just don't know what my first step should be. :( What will happen if I call a hotline? Could this affect my personal or professional life in any way? Can I speak to someone COMPLETELY anonymously?

You're hiding behind semantics...you are bulimic.

Your reasons for and length of time you've been "making" yourself throw up definitely fits the diagnosis. That and the fact that you are compulsive about it.

If you really want help it can't be done anonymously you have to acknowledge that you have a problem and commit to working with someone in ongoing therapy until this (and the exercise issue are resolved). Your sessions are confidential so I don't see how it could affect either your personal or professional in anything but a positive way. Good Luck!

- Response by destinyseeker, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Teaching

"The vomiting is a compulsion. If I overeat or feel badly about something I ate, I become anxious to expel the food. Once I vomit, I feel immediately relieved. It's as if my sense of control has been restored."

This is Bulimia and you have an eating disorder. You should seek medical attention as not only are you abusing your body, but you are living a hampered life by not having healthy skills to deal with stress.

Please stop looking on the Internet and in books for a definition that supports what you already know to be true. Mental health professionals are trained in dealing with this issue, we are not. And you can't do it alone.

- Response by siouxzen, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

Though you may not match the "clinical" description of the eating disorder, I would bet that the accepted methods of treatment would still work on you. I advise calling an eating disorders center or hotline so that they can direct you further. Best wishes.

- Response by 1junebug, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45

I am not quite sure if you are bulemic but you got to see a specialist like an endocronologist to check your system especially your stomach. There must be something that causes your impulsive to vommit if you overeat, I had heartburn once in a while if I over eat to the point like I feel like I want to vomit. The best thing you should do is see a professional as most of us cant give proper medication for you...seek early so you know what to do. Goodluck :)

- Response by asianlovely13, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, London, Managerial

Making yourself throw up is bulemic, I don't know what site told you different. You need help. Go to the doctor and get help before it is too late.

- Response by debski, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Detroit, Science / Engineering

I know what u mean, and I was exactly the same.
It happens that u eat compulsively and u feel guilty afterwards.

You can try eating something thats good and healthy so u wont feel the need of throwing up (vegan cookies, light yogurt...) mostly because this food wont be so heavy for your stomach and u won't feel full. Try drinking some tea (like 2 or 3 cups) before eating, maybe you're just anxious and not hungry.

Hope it helps, u cant send me a private msg if u want to talk more

- Response by joannieleigh, A Married Girl, Female, 26-28, Tampa

YOU. HAVE. BULIMIA. period.

- Response by brifon16, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Los Angeles, Student

Just because you don't fit a specific time line doesn't mean squat. You are buliemic. You can talk to a doctor and they can't tell anyone else about what you talk about. It's just between you and the doctor.

Google the term EDNOS.

- Response by damnpoor, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35, Other Profession

I am not a binger or purger, but sometimes I stuff myself and then throw it up.

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Los Angeles, Medical / Dental

This is for the annon who said I'm not a binger and purger but sometimes I stuff my self then throw it up. Guess what a Binger Does. STuffs themsleves and guess what else they do they throw it back up. So guess what that makes you bulimic. Go get some help.

- Response by bellabyrdie, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Ide just like so say, your description fits exactly what i would have typed. I am currently 19 and have done the exact same thing since middle school. I've always been curious as to who else out there acts the same as we do.I go through periods where i vomit once a day, and times where i omit once a month. I dont feel like im bulimic, honestly i would feel like a poser trying to make people feel bad for me if i even called myself bulimic. and I'm not even a really skinny girl or anything. i dont feel like my throwing up is a problem, but if i told people they would most definitely disagree. I wonder when or if i will ever stop..

- Response by Female, 22-25, San Francisco