Label or No Label....
Dating / 10:08 AM - Thursday May 13, 2010

Label or No Label....

Us women, being the way we are, like to put labels on things.. Whether it be boxes, folders or in my case, relationships. I'm starting to think though, is a putting a label on a relationship even necessary anymore? Are we dooming ourselves by trying to do it? Of course, most people have different opinions on this but, the majority of men, I'm sure have somewhat of the same thought about it. Should women just really let it go with the flow, sit back and let it take you where it's going to take you? I'm very curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Update: May 13, 2010.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer this question! I think everyone had a great opinion and it truly did help me. Thanks!

- Asked by ashabee09, A Life of the Party, Female, 26-28, Internet / New Media

I think you are totaly right.

I totally agree that women like labels. Men, however, don't. Sometimes I think it's a security thing. BUT I also feel if you don't define something at some point, then that leaves a lot of things vague and room to wiggle when maybe you shouldn't.

- Response by busyb704, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

I think this is a gender neutral question because members of both sexes like to know where they stand with someone they are dating.
No one wants to put time and energy into a situation that they feel could be going no where.

Do you honestly think most people are alright with working a dead end job with no chance of progression or promotion to that "new label or status"? Do you feel that when people go to school, they would be alright with spending thousands of dollars on random courses that will not lead to a degree at some point?

The answer is no. Most people wants labels of any sort because it confirms that they have achieved what goals they have set out to accomplish.

If you are dating someone and the goal of dating them is a relationship, then a label is necessary because without it you're basically just hanging out with the opposite sex with no expectations or future oriented thoughts.

For some people that is perfectly fine because not everyone wants a relationship, but for those who do, you will find that labels are an important way of validating that the other person is now off of the market. If someone doesn't want to take you off of the market it's because you're not the right one for them. I mean seriously, when is the last time you've let something good get away on purpose?

Many times I would meet right guys or the relationship would go farther when I sat back. I think it might both were relax that made thing easier. I would just let it take you where it suppose to go. I have learned it. You may want to start and see how it goes.

- Response by curiouswoman, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Science / Engineering

exactly. Let be what will be. If you label, you expect something that may not happen the way you think it should/ will. You are setting yourself up for a let down.

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, Transportation

No because you will never get anywhere. If you dont give people boundaries they will walk all over you especially in a relationship. Let the man know (in a subtle way) that you are not just dating to date, you are dating to find a serious relationship(if that's the goal). He will respect your statement and if he wants what you want then he will stay. if he doesn't then he will go. At least you will know how far you guys will go and make a decision from there.

- Response by thicallover, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, New York, Administrative

I think it's a control issue. Women have some kind of biological need to know that a real man is in the driver's seat, and he knows where he's going. There's a destination planned, and it has a name. Too bad, women can't just sit and enjoy the ride, even if it's in the back seat of a parked car.

What kind of label would you put on your avatar pic?
I'm curious because I see lots and lots of pics just like it being posted on profiles at POFdotcom.