I thought census was voluntary... Now here they got people knocking on your door...
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 12:49 PM - Monday May 03, 2010

If you didn't fill them out... To ask census questions... They can't arrest you but this is new knocking at your door? Not bad but sounds a little crazy..

Update: May 04, 2010.
In Indian its felony if you dont fill it out and return it... You know felonys pretty serious charge like 3 years in prison...

Update: May 03, 2010.
What do they have if your blind?

Update: May 03, 2010.
The first census I was in I was a 5 year old. So I only been in 3 didn't understand how it worked at 5...

Update: May 03, 2010.
Maybe thats why I dont know much about you... Somebody said every 10 years... I would of been 15 than.. I dont remember much at 15... Also I didn't know you could get fined $5000.00....

Update: May 03, 2010.
I dont you to think I am anti goverment. But yes your right they do ask for a name and they might run it in computer and if your criminal you than they might come and arrest you..

Update: May 03, 2010.
I dont want people to think I have a problem with it... I am not saying we should stop this and I am not saying we should have it either. I am netural...

Update: May 03, 2010.
Mine are already done... But this is the first time I was made aware of this fact I never knew this before..

- Asked by twilightzone85, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Milwaukee, Food Service

It's not new. Actually, I believe people going door to door was how the census was originally done. In fact, I remember that there was a Three Stooges episode where they were census takers, and you know it was a loooong time ago when those things were made.

And no, it's not voluntary. Like you said, they don't arrest people for it, but it IS your legal responsibility as a U.S. citizen to provide the information they ask for.

- Response by rokitman, A Creative, Male, 36-45, Artist / Musician / Writer

Um...

And your problem with this is WHAT exactly?

The census tells the government EVERYTHING it needs to know about hot to best take care of its citizens!

How does the gvt know how many house representative a state gets? The census.

How does the gvt know how to allocate federal funding based on population density and public need? Well gee, I bet an accurate count of the population would help with that!

How will the gvt know how many people are below poverty level? Census again.

Actually, you know what? If you hate the census, please don't fill out your forms. Fight with the census taker who comes to your door. Give them completely made up info.

You will then be less represented in congress, leaving more room and votes for saner people! :-)

- Response by A Player, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

From a news article (no fines, don't sweat it anyone):

The director of the U.S Census Bureau said Friday it is unlikely the government will issue any fines for not filling out the census form that was recently mailed to Americans.

Robert Groves, the director of the Census Bureau, said on C-SPAN's "Washington Journal" program that while the government can fine people $5,000 for not filling out the census form, it is unlikely to do so.

I have nothing against filling it out - it's just that I have misplaced it twice.
They'll have to come and get it.
Oh well, it contributes to the employment pool. Think of the jobs.
(A friend just got one)

- Response by monana, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

No, this is not new.
And the census is a required task per the U.S. Constitution.
The form only took a minute to fill out ... only several different questions ... very simple.
And the census plays an important role in the whole democratic process of our government when it comes to determining how many representatives shall represent the state you live in, in Congress.

What's crazy is, why someone did not take 1 minute of time to fill out the census form and mail it in?

- Response by andrewj5267, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Miami, Teaching

Used to always have census takers, but it was hit or miss I think! At least it gives people a chance to make some money!

Have a good one!

- Response by kanaka, A Life of the Party, Male, 46-55, Dallas, Executive

It's been well publicized that census takers have been hired on a temporary basis to try to get the information from people who did not mail in the form. It's not a big deal. You don't have to answer the door.

Nope, the census is not voluntary.
How can they find out if they do not know your name and if it was not sent in.
It seems that we are losing all our freedoms and cannot be as untransparent as the Federal and state governments.

It's not voluntary, it's mandated in the Constitution that a Census be performed every 10 years for the purposes of Congressional apportionment. Part of getting a successful Census is making sure that they get a response from everyone. That means knocking on doors if you don't mail it in. How do you think they did the Census before the postal system was reliable and mailing a letter cross country took a couple months? They knocked on doors. The Census is not "voluntary" in that you have a choice to do it or not, it's "voluntary" in that you volunteer the information for them to do the Constitutionally mandated Census.

- Response by damon8r351, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Norfolk

Din't fill it out and will refuse to answer the door.
Although they say they won't use it,Any info collected by the Governments CAN be used for other purposes. I don't trust them.
The biggest part that I had a problem with is they asked for a name.
None of their business who lives here.
Socialism and communism begins by knowing who lives where and why.

- Response by luvshooters, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65

There are some areas of the country where there are a high percentage of households who do not turn in a census questionnaire and door knockers are needed to assist the people who cannot fill out the form, who do not understand it and to also catch the people who are housing illegal aliens. Its a good thing to have them knocking on doors. Its a benefit to all American citizens.

- Response by 3wiltedroses, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

There is no fine and they can not share any information that is gathered in the census with any other governmental or private entity.

It's against the law for them to call the cops on you because you are a criminal, I bet lawyers would have a field day with that.

- Response by A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Self-Employed

yes if you don't send it back that's true a census worker will come knocking at your door and ask you questions they say it helps the government to know what needs to be done in each and every persons community and no I don't think your anti-government at all or have a problem with it I'm neutral about it too. and I mailed mine off just in time too.

- Response by sweetc, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Home Maker

The US Constitution ONLY says that they should "enumerate" (count) the people. All you have to tell them is the number of people living there. That's all. Don't answer all that other crap.

Thats part of the problem, People are uneducated on stuff & instead of learning about things, they just choose to be ignorant. I never saw or heard anything saying it was optional. It said fill it out mail it back, if you don't we come knocking on your door & charge you the fee, that it costs to send those people out. I've got nothing to hide & besides there are a hell of a lot of other things out there that ask you for a heck of a lot more info. If your afraid to fill it out, I say get the hell out.

- Response by 1cour, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Minneapolis, Retail

In Australia you get fined big dollars if you don't fill one out. And they keep fining you until you do fill it out..

- Response by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

It's State Law for Indiana. We got a letter previous to the actual census letting us know it was a Felony Charge for not filling it out and returning it. That's the only reason Indiana got theirs back.

- Response by staceym2112, A Cool Mom, Female, 26-28, Medical / Dental

By hook or crook they will get thier info.

They send "enumerators" to fill out the form for people that did not send it in. It is supposed to help the government determine funds for different states etc. It is never a complete count, however, because they run out of money and have to end the census early. If people don't want to answer it, they usually just do not answer the door. If you go back a few times without success, it is turned in to the supervisor to handle from then on.