I'm 44 years old and am dating a 27 year old. They say that age is just a number. Do you agree? Why!
Dating / 11:03 PM - Sunday May 02, 2010

All that I hear is that I'm too old to be dating this person. If 2 people trully care for one another, shouldn't what's in the heart be the most important thing. Anna Nichole Smith did it. No one said a word to her. Should I continue to date this woman or should I break both of our hearts and try and move on. I want her to be happy and likewise I'm sure. I am happy. Help me out here people.

- Asked by A Career Man, Male, 46-55, Philadelphia, Civil Service

I am a 27 year old woman currently dating a 44 year old man. We have been together for 6 years. In the beginning it was great - a novelty even, but as time has gone on I have started to see the age gap more and more. I am changing every day and he is staying the same as he always was, because he was already so set in his ways when we met. What I once loved about him I have realised as I have become more of an adult, I don't actually like quite so much! And what about kids? What about retirement? Do I want to be going to work for nearly 2 decades before I can finally join him?? Does your girl want that? I used to think it was just a number too, until I snapped out of it. ;)

- Response by A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 29-35, New York

I once dated a man 11 years older than me and it wasn't a big deal. I think other people put more of a strain on the two of us than we did. However, I will ask if you have kids. He did and I don't. This only matters if she wants to have kids and your take on it. Seventeen years is kind of steep but to each his own. If you both have a lot in common then I think it will be ok, just as long as you are not a father figure to her.

- Response by A Sportif, Female, 36-45, Los Angeles

age becomes less and less important as people grow older. remember back when 3 years was a huge gap during high school? but a warning from one guy to another. guys and girls are different enough as it is, then you put 2 people together that are in 2 totally different hemispheres of life, it could be a wild ride. there are exceptions however. best of luck to you!

- Response by midlandxdude311, A Rebel, Male, 22-25, Rochester, Retail

It all comes down to this truth. You been on earth now for 44 years, & your date's been on earth for 27 years. Any questions?

- Response by syncaset, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Dallas, Artist / Musician / Writer

Age is relative. Let me try to explain. So there is 17 years difference between you. Would you let your 15 year old daughter date a 32 year old man - HELL NO. The guy would be too creepy. But if your 80 year old grandmother was dating a 97 year old man, we'd all say how much they make a cute couple.

You being 44 and her 27 is on the edge of creepy-ness. She being 27 seams too old to be looking for the "daddy complex". And her being 27 also seams too old for you to be looking for the "teeny complex".

- Response by cosmicdog0, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Denver, Science / Engineering

If she believes in making the effort as much as you do, it can work. She's not-quite past the party girl phase, which can be a problem if you're more into black tie evenings.
There's an old Islamic rule that says, a woman should be half the man's age, plus seven, so she's two years shy of ideal for you.

Your life must be stuck in the past and she must be really mature and settled down.

I can see why YOU would want to date her, but I am at a loss as to why she wants to date you. Unless you have a lot of money and do share it with her generously.

And, you age will become much more apparent as the years move forward. Even your money will not stop her from sampling the youth that she left behind.

That is a very insecure way to have to live; always watching, wondering and worrying.

But, for NOW, I guess if you are happy that is what matters. The fact you had to ask this question makes me wonder if you are so secure in your decison.

I only date younger also why would I want to date anyone my age