How long does it take to hear back once you have filled out an application to rent a place?
House & Home / 1:02 PM - Friday April 30, 2010

We filled it out the same day we saw the place, on Wednesday. I'm wondering how long do we have to have before we hear if we are the ones getting the apartment. Its a really nice apartment and I think a lot of people probably wanted to rent it. We dropped our applications off literally 15 minutes after seeing the place, but they told us not to put any money down so we didn't. I'm worried we aren't going to get the place though.

How long should I wait before following up with a phone call? I sent an email after dropping the application off to say that we dropped it off and we loved the place and wanted to live there.

I just really liked the place....ugh.

Is it a large complex with many units? An office with staff?

Or a single unit? Owner managed? Management property managed?

If it's a large place with an office -- they should process your application with 24 hours (run credit check, back ground check etc.).

If it's a single unit with "Larry the Landlord" -- hard telling. If he didn't 'like' you -- for whatever reason -- you just won't hear back from them. Them NOT collecting at least the money to run the background checks makes me think you are NOT being considered.

Well, it's Saturday. You might call and inquire about the apartment. Make sure they know who is calling and why. This sometimes makes a difference. Try and keep in touch. You didn't say where you are, so I am just giving you what I know keeps people aware of your interest, whether it's renting, buying, or finding another position. Good Luck.

- Response by rholuc, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older, Retired