Thank you for your many years of support. We want to share the news with you that after much consideration, will cease operations in its present format on October 15th. We appreciate your meaningful contributions over the years.
Back to Home

Active Questions

Can I get Section 8 (help with housing-rent payment) if I live with my sister and her family?
House & Home / 6:47 PM - Friday April 23, 2010

Can I get Section 8 (help with housing-rent payment) if I live with my sister and her family?

I am on the list for section 8 in my county where I live. So if I get on it can I have it while living with my sister and her family?

I live with them but they consider me their roommate because I have my own room and do pay my own rent ($400 towards the rent of $1179 for the whole townhouse apartment). Would that work?

Update: April 23, 2010.
Yeah i would rather just get my own place, if I do get on Section 8. I wouldn't be sticking around. My sister was wondering because her friend was wondering. So that made me wonder. LOL. But yeah I would rather leave and have my own place. I can't stand living with her and her family much longer. So I hope I get that or my boyfriend gets his investment. :)

- Asked by ellekassia26, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Home Maker

Read more about the Rating System

No, I don't beleive so.

The way I understand it, is that Section 8 means that you get reduced rental rates at certain participating federally-subsidized apartments and housing complexes. In other words, if an apartment rents normally for $800 a month, the landlord accepts you as a tennat for $500 a month, and get a monthly subsidy from the government for the other $300. And I think the landlord has to actually sign up with HUD or someplace to participate.

- Response by justpassingthru, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

Rating Received:

First of all, when you sighned up for section 8, how many people did you add to application? Hopefully one, yourself. The reasons it would be better for just you? If everyone's income combined would make the rent payment between $200-$500, housing pays the difference. If its just you, maybe $130-$180, depending which state, I'm in Ca. Second reason to be just you, if one of the other relatives, or friends/roommates can fight for the Section 8 certificate, and the one who needs it the most, ( has kids) will win, then you'll be left homeless. Same goes for your boyfriend. Some advice? Don't add anyone to your section 8 contract. When you get married to the right man, then you'll have to add him to your section 8. If you have limited income $850, your rent will be $150 a month. And for god's sake don't let anyone move in with you, they will take advantage of you, plus since the Housing Authority has strict rules, break one lose your Section 8. If you need more info, I've been on Section 8 since 1983, and would be homeless or living with idiotts or worse. My name is Cathy my email is xxxxxxxxxx

- Response by cattaz101, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Home Maker

Rating Received:

Yes, you can as long you are in the family income bracket. But are you planning to find a place of your own? You have to look over through the internet of your county to get information. Good luck

- Response by womanv, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, New York, Self-Employed

Rating Received: