Why won't my husband say "I love you" back to me when I tell him that I love him?
Married Life / 9:36 PM - Thursday April 22, 2010

why won't my husband say "I love you" back to me when I tell him that I love him?

We've been married for 21 years. Even though he's never been really romantic, he used to tell me me that he loves me every few months. He hasn't done so lately however, and now he doesn't even say it back when I say it to him first.

Unless you just don't want to go there, I'd say it's time to ask him. Maybe he's just ignorant of your needs and a little open loving communication would do a world of good. Or maybe, it could get emotionally ugly and lead to a break. Either way, at least you wouldn't be stuck in place and unhappy.

- Response by grinandbareit, An Engaged Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

You could tell him.
But that would make him tell you no matter if it means anything or not.
Just to make you happy.
Would him just saying the words make you happy?

- Response by guy506, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Houston, Other Profession

He doesn't really value you anymore. Kind of takes you for
granted-like you're just there. Also, maybe you don't turn him
on anymore-he may like younger hotter women-which you can't
really blame him-that's natural. That sex appeal and hot
physical attraction may not be there anymore. Happens after
a while in marriage eventually.

- Response by A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45

I think its time for you to sit him down and have a heart to heart.I hope after 21 yrs.its just that he's soo comfortable in your relationship that he doesnt realize he's missed those moments.Let him know how you feel...Let him know you need to hear it.Marriage is give and take.21 yrs.of marriage is all the reason you need to ask for some extras and for you to need some or a little change up.You'll never get if you never ask.

- Response by need2nobasis, Female, 36-45