When can babies start thinking?
Family & Parenting / 6:22 AM - Thursday April 22, 2010

When can babies start thinking?

I read babies don't think during the first 2 years of life because their brains aren't fully developed until age 3 or 4.

- Asked by A Guy Critical, Female, Who Cares?

One cannot have thoughts until language begins to develop.

This is not to say that a baby's brain is inactive...on the contrary. Those little processors are in overdrive, soaking up every little stimulus...it's just that they are unable to put meaning to all of it until they can begin to form language skills.

BTW, the human brain isn't fully developed until the mid twenties.

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

I think they start from Day one. Too many smart 1 year olds out there, they have to be thinking..

- Response by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

Brain activity is shown when the fetus is 10 weeks old. Abortion is murder Abortion is murder Abortion is murder

- Response by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Law Enforcement

They all think because when they see their parents they smile. They can easily read your facial expressions too. For the first 2 months infants sleep, eat, poop (excuse my language lol)and stare at surroundings when they're awake. Now memory is a different story. The part of the brain called Hippocampus starts developing when child is 4 or 5; therefore most of us can't remember our toddler years.

- Response by chichek, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Moscow, Other Profession

Thinking is automatic from day one......technically the brain is never fully developed because you can learn new things at any age. The brain is always working whether it appears to be or not...it's always working.

I would say from the first day. Why? Because they learn very quickly that if they cry someone will come.

- Response by bookman, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

They think in the womb. That's ridiculous. And whoever said that you can't have thoughts without language is an idiot. That would be like saying animals don't think. Animals have complex thoughts without language so obviously a baby can think. They start understanding language long before they can speak it. They have to think to learn to roll over don't they? to crawl? to walk? Of course they do. Your brain doesn't have to be fully developed to think. In fact your brain isn't fully developed at 3 or 4. It's about the size it going to be in childhood when your skull stops growing and fuses together but your brain is still very immature.

I would say they start actually putting things together at around 2 yrs but you can never be certain. The brain isnt fully developed until we're 25 or so thats what I got from my Anatomy class.

- Response by mortaune, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Student

thats a lie they start way before that i mean they are able to discriminate seconds after being born so why wouldnt they be able to think?

- Response by mindgames, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Student