Does my apartment have a separate water heater? Do I pay for hot water?
House & Home / 1:38 PM - Tuesday April 20, 2010

Someone told me my apartment must have a water heater because we pay for electricity. But, I can't find it. This place isn't that big, I checked all the rooms and cupboards.

And if I do pay for hot water with my electric bill, what does it mean when it says "water/sewer/gas" is covered by the apartment complex?

I'm on the top (third) floor, and my shower takes literally five-ten minutes to heat up. Is that normal?

- Asked by anie01, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Teaching

your water heater is somewhere. Its probably just somwhere it can be reached. The fact is you do pay for hot water. They pay for water you pay to make it Hot if its heated by an electric water heater. If its Gas heated then No you don't pay for it at all. It means that the apartment complex pays for Gas, water and sewer. Otherwise you would have a bill for each one. Be happy about the gas bill being paid because it can be pretty damn high.

- Response by bellabyrdie, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Lots of times it is in the attic.

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 66 or older, Consulting

i bet your apt is just like mine with hot water heat registers along the wall?

you pay for electric but have no gas stove right?

the building is heated by hot water heat and the hot water heater is the building "boiler" heater in a maintenance closet someplace.

- Response by galdeen, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Administrative

Call your local Board Of Health, on this.
That's WAY too long to wait on hot water.

you should have hot water honey if it is included in ur rent and if u get a bill for gas, ele. water u should have it. and if your hot water takes up to 5 10 min, to heat up yes that is normal. i know i live in my home and even though i own it lol it takes me 5-15 min. to get hot water. but if in doubtr get ur land lord to tell you. he or she will know ok. gl

- Response by twoshort2000, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Retired

It's in the "mechanical room" or they want to call it.

- Response by damnpoor, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35, Other Profession