Do You Call Out a Liar, Or See How Far the Lies Go?
Friendship / 12:25 PM - Monday April 19, 2010

I know a guy in his late forties who lies. All the time. Lies about his life, his friends, his accomplishments, his "spiritual" beliefs, his family.

I've actually heard him lie when talking to other people about things that *I* have supposedly said or done, while I am standing right there. . .in which case, I do call him on it and his response is "well, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!"

Basically, it has come to the point where anyone who knows HIM doesn't believe anything he says, yet he just keeps running his mouth.

He's always been a drinker, and claims that he has been going to AA meetings and even told me today that he is at 67 days of sobriety. However. . .I also know for a fact that he went out with friends last week and did quite a bit of drinking, and even asked another friend if he could "borrow" a beer off him.

He doesn't know that I know he was drinking all weekend. So, today I happened to run into him and he told me about some job interview he has lined up, and how he's really optimistic about life now because he's been sober for over two months.

Whatever.

Would it be better to just ignore all of the lies since I KNOW they are nothing but lies?

Or, just come right out and tell him that he might as well stop talking to me, because I know he is nothing but a liar and I consider it a waste of time even listening to him?

- Asked by saucywench, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Cincinnati, Other Profession

I tell the truth even when I am lying. You know the earth is flat and I dare you to prove me wrong. The operative word is prove.

- Response by phoenixbandit, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Columbus, Law Enforcement

Pathological liars can't change without years of therapy. I would let him know you aren't interested in liars for friends and move on. Rosey

It's pointless to call out pathological liars on their lies cuz all they'll do is lie about lying and then add more lies. Trying to get to the truth with people like this is so frustrating and taxing.

So yeah, I say ignore him or at least make the interactions someone comical for yourself by responding to his lies with sarcasm like "Really? You stopped drinking? That's wonderful. Yeah, I like to borrow an O'Douls from time to time, myself" ...then walk away.

oh no, this is not good. My ex husband and then later on a man I fell for were both pathological liars. The problem is THEY believe their own lies!! I could not deal with a person who lies, lies, lies. I would tell him exactly what I do know and cut this loser loose. Trust is the basis of any good relationship. Don't you deserve more?

I have always just ignored them when they lie,if they wonder why and bother to ask..I have no problem telling them the truth! But,always keep my distance with them,as I do not enjoy or want to spend time around people like them!

- Response by honeywillowsback, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Edmonton

That is one thing I just can't tolerate.
I don't use this word very often but I hate liars and call bull shit when I see it.