My fingernail was permanently damaged at a nail salon
Diet & Health / 11:44 AM - Saturday April 17, 2010

Do I have legal recourse? I waited 6 months to see if the damaged nail would simply grow out, but it's damaged all the way to the cuticle. Do I have a choice? What should I do? It was the first and only time I had ever had my nails done.

- Asked by graziella, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Artist / Musician / Writer

I guess that would depend on what you consider "recourse."

Are you in pain? Is it ugly? It's only been six months, are you sure it won't grow out? (Have you seen a doctor?) Do you want a million dollars like the woman who spilled McDonald's coffee on herself, or do you want free manicures the rest of your life?

It's all about putting it into perspective.

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

You could try to sue them. But did you go to a doctor? Some things that happen to yours nails at salons can be may time some time but it can be done.

Although the process seems a lot faster, fingernails only grow about an inch and a half a year in a normal healthy person. Once a nail is severely damaged it can take a few years to repair itself but in most cases the damage it not permanent it only seems that way because nails grow so slowly. Have you seen a doctor? It's possible that although unpleasant, the nail can be completely removed and the new one will grow back just fine. I doubt very much that there is any way you can prove this was caused by the salon especially since so much time has passed since you had your nails done.

Good Luck!

How did they damage it? Sometimes you can permanently damage your own nail by ripping acrylic nails off yourself -that's not the salon's fault unless THEY are the ones that removed it ?

If they damaged it while putting them on or off, then you might have a case...but if you ripped it off yourself, then that's your own problem.

- Response by jillopo, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35