My fingernail was permanently damaged at a nail salon
Diet & Health / 11:44 AM - Saturday April 17, 2010

Do I have legal recourse? I waited 6 months to see if the damaged nail would simply grow out, but it's damaged all the way to the cuticle. Do I have a choice? What should I do? It was the first and only time I had ever had my nails done.

- Asked by graziella, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Artist / Musician / Writer

I think it would depend on whether or not they assumed responsibility or explained liability? Sometimes, there are "at your own risk" signs placed where you can barely see them or the writing is so little you will not pay attention to it. Also, have you seen a Doctor that let you know the nail is permanently damaged or directly caused by something the nail technician did? If the nail technician was negligent or irresponsible and it caused permanent damage to your nail, and it had nothing to do with the care that you didn't give them, you have every right to sue for the damage. Not every person is trying to get over with fake lawsuits. Some people truly need to be held liable for the shoddy work they do that causes permanent damage.

You shouldn't have to look at an ugly nail bed with no nail in it or have others think you have a nasty nail disease. I don't recollect you saying, you wanted money or a frivolous lawsuit. Maybe, you just want them to find a way to repair the damage so that it's not noticeable. I know a friend that went to a Podiatrist, that took her big toenail off due to fungal nail. He also put her on medicine to cure this. The nail never grew back. However, the side effects and warnings of this were clearly given to her when she sought treatment. She was able to go to a nail technician who has been putting a nail on and painting it. It looks so natural that I never knew her nail never grew back. Sometimes, there are risks that are indicated to you. Just make sure you know what your rights are and that the damage wasn't a risk listed. Good luck.

I guess that would depend on what you consider "recourse."

Are you in pain? Is it ugly? It's only been six months, are you sure it won't grow out? (Have you seen a doctor?) Do you want a million dollars like the woman who spilled McDonald's coffee on herself, or do you want free manicures the rest of your life?

It's all about putting it into perspective.

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

You could try to sue them. But did you go to a doctor? Some things that happen to yours nails at salons can be fixed..it may time some time but it can be done.

Although the process seems a lot faster, fingernails only grow about an inch and a half a year in a normal healthy person. Once a nail is severely damaged it can take a few years to repair itself but in most cases the damage it not permanent it only seems that way because nails grow so slowly. Have you seen a doctor? It's possible that although unpleasant, the nail can be completely removed and the new one will grow back just fine. I doubt very much that there is any way you can prove this was caused by the salon especially since so much time has passed since you had your nails done.

Good Luck!

How did they damage it? Sometimes you can permanently damage your own nail by ripping acrylic nails off yourself -that's not the salon's fault unless THEY are the ones that removed it ?

If they damaged it while putting them on or off, then you might have a case...but if you ripped it off yourself, then that's your own problem.

- Response by jillopo, An Alternative Girl, Female, 66 or older, Peshawar, Other Profession