My boyfriend never wants to go anywhere with me
Dating / 7:20 PM - Monday April 12, 2010

Whenever I get invited to a party/wedding/event from one of MY friends that my boyfriend doesn't know, he tells me he doesn't want to go, mainly because he won't know anyone.
If we get invited somewhere by his friends I am always happy to go, 1) because I want to be there with him, and 2) because I want to meet his friends.
He is always truthful and says "to be honest, I'd rather not go", and I always say that's ok, but I wish he'd WANT to go, for ME, even if it is reluctantly... if that makes sense??
He is not antisocial by any means, he is always the life of the party when we do go out. I don't get it!

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Tampa

Those people are YOUR friends.
so... politely, He steps out a bit...

YOU, on the other hand... just wanna dive into every crevice
of his existence, typical female... so, what's the big issue?

It's just what it is...
There! I said it!

Your "boyfriend" sounds liks a self-absorbed asshole who is only using you for sex.

If he was serious about you, he would go to your parties, not just his parties. He doesn't see the point in getting to know your friends because he doesn't plan to spend much more of his life with you.

- Response by A Rebel, Male, 46-55

Try being as selfish as him.
Don't go to his next party.

- Response by ginaguru, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

My man is the same way, even though he has met some of my friends from my community gym. My friends and I are social and we have outings outside of the gym of which he would rather not be a part of unfortunately. I would be happy to go with him to his outings if he wanted me to. It's just that even though he is outgoing like your boyfriend, I guess, he has nothing in common with my friends. It's unfortunate but you can't force him to go. I believe they just don't feel comfortable or are bored if they went with us.

He won't go because he doesn't know anyone? Tell him he'll know someone if he goes! A bit of a feeble excuse if ever there was one. He is being rather inconsiderate of your feelings methinks.. he could make the effort, think of you, hell it wouldn't hurt him, would it?

- Response by heatherjune123, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, London, Who Cares?

Oh well? If he doesn't want to go, he doesn't want to go. You can ask him about it, but that's probably the best you can do, aside from stop complaining...

- Response by frankemix, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Student

It could be possible that he's shy or doesn't feel completely comfortable around your friends. I'm not saying that makes him a bad person, cause I'm the same way. I don't do too good with meeting new people, it's just weird.. for me. He might be the same way.

- Response by fortminor123, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25

Maybe something is going on in his life. A fight with his mother? The loss of a best friend?

Talk to him. You need to let him know how you feel. You're never going to know why he is doing this and you're certainly not going to come up with a solution if you don't ask.

- Response by mlcoast2, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25

I think that if you accept to do things with him, and go places that he's invited to, then he should do the same for you. Especially if he likes spending time with you, and doing other things with just the two of you. It is fun having alone time, but there has to be some comprimise, otherwise your friends might be upset and give up inviting you. :)

- Response by krystle82, Female, 29-35, Toronto

Maybe he just wants a break from being with you all the time. I love my husband, but sometimes I need time by myself, for myself. Same for him. Sometimes he goes out for a little bit by himself, and sometimes I do the same thing, and sometimes we do things together. You could try not going everywhere with him all the time, and see if he wants to go out with you and your friends more.

- Response by STGchick, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Military

I THINK THAT YOU SHOULD EXPLAIN TO HIM HOW IT MAKES YOU FEEL WHEN HE SAYS HE DOESNT WANT TO GO WITH YOU. WHEN YOU GO WITH HIM DOES HE ASKS YOU ARE DO YOU JUST GO BC YOU ARE AROUND. IF THATS THE CASE I WOULD BE CONCERNED.

- Response by tutt710, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Houston, Student