Whats the substitute for egg's in Vegan cookie's?
Recipes & Entertaining / 4:20 PM - Friday April 09, 2010

I got some delicious chocolate chip cookie's today & i guess they were vegan..i'm pretty sure that they substitute soy milk for milk..but what about the eggs?

- Asked by dragonflyfairie, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Teaching

Applesauce! It's very good, and keeps the cookies moist. And a nice sweetener to add a bit of tang is orange juice. (great in cakes)

- Response by pudgeybunny, A Hippie Chick, Female, 26-28, Artist / Musician / Writer

Depends on what the egg does in the recipe. Sometimes the egg is a leaven, sometimes a binding agent.
Common replacements are yogurt, tofu, applesauce or mushed up banana's. But since most replacement are leavening agents, you will probably have to use baking powder.
I don't bake, but my sisters hook me up with vegan/vegetarian stuff all the times.

- Response by falsehammer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Kansas City, Consulting

My daughter was vegetarian for over 10 years so I did a lot of baking and cooking without animal products. Because eggs are used for different reasons in each thing you bake, you want to use different things to replace them in different types of baking..some for leavening (cakes), some for binding (quiche), some for moisture (cookies, muffins). What I found that makes a good substitute in cookies and muffins was homemade applesauce, mashed bananas or a product they carried at the health food store called "plum butter", although I preferred my homemade applesauce the most. In cakes eggless mayonnaise worked good or use a good eggless cake recipe that calls for oil and no dairy. I have several good ones (chocolate, carrot, etc.). I also made spinach pie and quiche with tofu put through a sieve or foley food mill and it comes out really good. Since then I have made sweet potato and pumpkin pie with it also, they are very good too. Tofu is amazing and can be used in so many different ways, chopped, mashed, crumbled but I found that if it's sieved, it's the most versatile and can be substituted for yogurt, sour cream, eggs, etc. depending on the thickness of it. Give it a whirl, experiment.. it's fun! (BTW, you can also substitute almond milk, rice milk and coconut milk for milk too.)
I'm in the process of making yogurt with rice, almond and coconut milks and they said it couldn't be done... but I'm doing it! Never say never. Happy cooking!

- Response by bjm524, Female, 66 or older, Other Profession