When young child actors have scary roles in TV and films, wouldn't that affect them emotionally?
Family & Parenting / 12:22 AM - Friday April 09, 2010

Would they know how to separate the fictional story they are a part of from real life?

- Asked by betterbird, A Creative, Male, 46-55, San Francisco, Administrative

Linda Blair handled the Exorcist pretty well for I think, a 12 year old. I remember her being interviewed back then and telling reporters that just like stories in a book, that the part she was playing was a story (and of course her Mom and nanny were always on set, and the director amde sure she knew what was happening).

On the flip side, I think I would be more scared of BARNEY or the TELETUBBIES nowadays....!!

- Response by iowaczechartist, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Kids are more into role playing than many of us adults realize. Most of the time they get a kick out of participating in having stage time in the limelight. Remember how much grade school kids like trying to scare each other? Same thing, except they get to do it on a national basis! What a hoot! rek

I always thought this myself. Don't know how the young actors put it out of their minds afterwards. There are things there that at that age they shouldn't be exposed to. There is no way I would be able to deal with it. Have often wondered if that is one reason child actors seem to always have a troubled life.

I wouldn't think it would affect them emotionally at all. I mean I'm sure the directors have key scenes they want the child involved in and by the time they explain out all the footing and how to make the scene look convincing enough, the kid is probably more pysched up to "play"/act the scene out more than anything. Cause once the scene is over for a while, I think for the majority of them they have to go back to doing regular kid stuff, like homework, tutoring, chores and other stuff. So I'm sure for most of them they get a good deal of daily life balance in there amongst shooting movies like that. Besides that I'm sure in the make up area they are watching as the "monsters" and such are getting all made over and they know that they aren't real off the bat.

- Response by CursedRomantic, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Columbus, Student

I have experience working with children on set and to tell you the truth. You have watched the finished product with Visual effects Sound effects and Make up effects. Honestly it isn't scary. Playing pretend is a child-like state that children get a kick out of on set or stage. They have a support system with the actors, parents or nannies on set and the crew. We have fun. What I have seen and this has happened to many child actors such as Drew Barrymore, is after the movie is done the children don't understand why we all leave. I had an experience with this kid and he didn't want us to leave. He was expressing to us that we all will be missed by giving us all hugs. It happens all the time when you spend months on set and everyday you have them part of your life and then we leave. Children don't understand that and that is what is more important for the child state of mind than working on a scary or emotional movie.

- Response by womanv, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, New York, Self-Employed