My friend just had an "abnormal" pabst (sp?) smear and will have to go to the next level. What is
Diet & Health / 11:53 AM - Thursday April 08, 2010

that? How complicated is it and what is it supposed to tell you? Is it painful?

Update: April 08, 2010.
It would appear that there are many different follow-ups. Some that are no big deal and others that "hurt like hell". LOL Thank you for your responses. I'll pass the information along.

- Asked by A Career Man, Male, 66 or older, Who Cares?

Actually abnormal paps are pretty common. It doesn't mean she has something serious. They will probably do a biopsy, which is an office visit and no big deal.

- Response by catscratch, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Executive

It's "pap smear". "Pabst" is beer. Really, really bad beer.

Don't worry. This is really common. She'll have to go back and get a 2nd one done. If that one's abnormal, they'll take a small sample for a biopsy, to check for cervical cancer. But most of the time, this doesn't turn into anything serious, so don't get worried.

The next "level" is usually nothing to get upset about. I had an abnormal PAP smear several years ago. The doc said that an "abnormal" means the lab saw something slightly off kilter and need an actual tissue sample to do a more in-depth study (no pun intended). If I remember correctly, they put me into a "twilight nap", took some tissue samples and I was back at work the next day. No post-op pain whatsoever. The results were: finding some pre-cancer cells roaming about. My doc prescribed some sort of cream that I had to insert at bed time (not unlike treating a yeast infection). I had a 2nd PAP done, 2 or 3 mos. later & everything was back to normal.

It was really nothing traumatic / dramatic at all. There's a website called JustAnswer.com that you can ask professionals (Dr.'s, Lawyers, Plumbers, Vets, etc.) a personal question. The "answer" may cost you a couple of bucks, but if your friend needs some reassurance, it's worth every penny :)

Hope you all have a nice day!
God bless,
D

- Response by familygal, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

Location of cancer cells have been discovered.
Depends on what her doctor suggests that she do.
Yet, if the doctor has to constantly 'clip' from her womb, it can be painful.

they hit your vajayjay up with a big long needle and freeze it and then scrap off the abnormal cells. It hurts like hell and she just might need a PABST after the ordeal.