Would You Wish an Ex a Happy Birthday
Dating / 1:11 PM - Sunday April 04, 2010

Would You Wish an Ex a Happy Birthday

Just curious, if an ex of yours birthday was coming up would you wish them a happy birthday, whether it b through texting,facebook... etc.?

Should you or should you not. Does this make you come off as wanting that person back or just wanting to genuienly wish them a happy birthday.

I would not do this. It's lame and it's needy and it's inappropriate.

Unless you still have some kind of friendship going on and you are still in regular contact with him, do not do it. There is no reason to "genuinely wish them a happy birthday" if they are 100% gone out of your life. They don't CARE what you think, and it will only make you look pathetic.

If you keep it short and simple, it's fine. Also it should be written in a way that no reply on his side would be necessary.
That way he wont be getting any ideas. But it all comes down to how you broke up and how both of you feel about the situation.

- Response by secilia, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Athens, Body Work

I've been divorced for more than ten years, but my ex is still the father of my sons and grand father to his grandson.

For my birthday last month, he unexpectedly sent me two vintage beaded sweaters which belonged originally to his Grandmother.

I was extremely touched by the thoughtful gift out of the blue.

I do not believe he had any 'ulterior' motive in sending the gift.

That would depend upon what kind of "relationship" I still have with him. If we remained friends, I might do that. However, if both of us have moved on with our lives and have no children together - I wouldn't go out of my way to do that. It would seem kind of clingy.

It depends on a few things, like how long ago you broke up, how you broke up, and if you still talk. If you broke up recently in an amicable way and don't fight when you talk, and still do in fact talk (even if its somewhat rarely), I think its perfectly acceptable to wish your ex a happy birthday. It's not pathetic or desperate as a relationship is a big part of your life and the people you have relationships with seem to have to go from being a part of your everyday life to nothing in what seems like no time at all. It makes sense you are thinking about them on their birthday. I'd say its best to keep it simple and make the conversation about them and what they're doing with their life, as you would likely do for any friend on their birthday, and of course steer clear of the past or potentially touchy topics of conversation. I'd also say a happy birthday text or email is entirely appropriate.

- Response by bluebutton32, A Hippie Chick, Female, 26-28, Student

Hard telling. It depends if you are over the person. If they still talk to me then I will wish them a happy birthday if I happen to see them or some topic like that comes up. If they do not talk to me then I know they are not over me and it would be best to leave it that way. I find that if you can do that then perhaps you are over the person but then again it will depend on the other. Wish him a happy birthday if you are over him and moved on. Nothing can be hurt that way and if he does not respond then don't do it again.

- Response by william45, A Career Man, Male, 46-55, Chicago, Teaching

ya as she is a good friend now