I don't like my kids!!!
Family & Parenting / 12:56 AM - Sunday April 04, 2010

I don't like my kids!!!

Ok, I know that it sounds horrible but I don't like my kids right now. My oldest daughter is almost 4 and my youngest is 6 months. I understand that we all have bad days but I've had a week of bad days in a row! I just want to be left alone. Am I the only one, or have others gone through this too?

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Other Profession

This is the fun time.Wait till they are 13.

mine are 11 and 14 and 5 days out of 7 i dont like them. lol.

- Response by galdeen, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Administrative

Everybody needs some time away. Down time away from your children makes the job of parenting them a whole lot more palatable. When one day runs into another and there are a string of not so good days people get on each others nerves.

- Response by joybird, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I think it's normal to feel this way.. The ages that you have a very demanding ages, as it raising children isn't demanding enough... take a deep breath.. smile.. and know it's NORMAL. =]

- Response by socalsweet, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Teaching

Sometimes... more times than not these days I can't stand my kids so much I don't want to see them...

And now they're all grown up.... I prefered them as puppies.. once the little animals hit about 14 or so... that's when the serious crap starts.

Break out the money....

they don't train very well.

- Response by A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, Consulting

Oh Honey, please know that you are not alone! When my son was small I used to sit and hold him when he cried and I'd cry with him because I felt so overwhelmed and guilty that I resented him. In reality I was trying to be super mom and just needed a break. While there are a lot of Mothers who'd never admit to it, we all have some days when we can't stand our kids. I have a four year old son and am expecting another baby in a few weeks and my son has been getting on my last nerve so bad lately that sometimes I just want to take him to the train station and drop him off and never look back! Of course I'd never do that but Mothering can and does get to be a bit too much for us all from time to time. My suggestion would be to find something you can do outside of the house alone once or twice a week. I've taken up going to bingo just to get a break and it's helped a lot. A lot of people don't understand that being a Mom is 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. There are no vacations and there is no sick leave so you simply must find a way to take a few hours for yourself each week to maintain your sanity. It's perfectly normal to feel this way but you've got to find an outlet or you'll grow to eventually resent your children because of the way their birth's have altered your life. You're going to be OK and if you ever need someone to talk to feel free to PM me.

It seems to be much more normal for women as I've never heard of any men that felt this way overall. I know that I never had any such feeling like that for my daughter no matter how much stress I was under with her. I never "disliked" my daughter because I've always taught her what she needed to know about life, would sit and talk with her for hours teaching her things, talking with her and spending time with her and now that she is older we have the best relationship ever.

If your alone, not getting a lot of help from others, have two young kids and no way to take a break, then it's understandable, but I don't see how anyone could ever say that they don't "like" their kids. You may feel great frustration with them and want to scream, but if you don't like your own kids, who are FROM you..then I would say that you likely do not like yourself very much either to some degree.

Not sure if your a single mom or what, but see if you can get some help from extended family or friends.