Catholic oppression...it ain't a new thing.
Sex & Intimacy / 2:57 PM - Friday April 02, 2010

The Ku Klux Klan was founded on the principles of oppressing minorities, Jews and African-Americans in particular, and intimidating and oppressing the Roman Catholic Church and labor unions. Just throwing it out there.

Oh, and the Romans themselves perfected the art of hating on the Catholics when the religion was still practiced behind locked doors in secret. Oh, and the Irish. The Irish know all about Catholic-on-Protestant conflict, and have been doing it like it's their job since before the US even existed.

Plus there was that period in America where the Irish Catholics were hated and treated with just as much racism, if not more, than African-Americans are now. Don't believe me, take a look at the Know-Nothing nativists (which OBTW was a conservative party that was a successor to the Whig Party and precursor of the Republican Party, if you were to ask me just why I have so little respect for politically conservative people) and also Google "Irish need not apply". Martin Scorsese just didn't pull "Gangs of New York" out of his ass.

So I can't believe for all "advanced" we are, we still haven't grown up past hating on the Catholics, the Jews, and pretty much anyone that doesn't fit that coveted White Anglo-Saxon Protestant mold.

- Asked by damon8r351, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Norfolk

I don't hate any religion more than I do the idea of religion and spirituality. All of it is just unrealistic to me.

Should they be rooted out and killed? Umm... this isn't the 14th century, no. But should every single person no matter who they serve be responsible for their actions? You betcha.

We have a freedom of religious belief in this country. No matter if people believe in it or not, there is still that option. I do NOT agree with the church's cover up on this whole scandal. they should be held accountable for their actions.

- Response by desota18, A Creative, Male, 22-25, Self-Employed

Most of the anti-Catholic feeling in the UK derives from the time of the Tudors. I blame it on Henry the Eighth. Well, you've got to blame someone haven't you?

The Tudor period was amazingly complicated as England flipped between Catholic and Protestant, depending on who occupied the throne. Protestant monarchs burned Catholics and Catholic monarchs burned Protestants. You can still visit Tudor houses and see the little hidey-holes behind walls and under floors where they hid the recusant priests to whom Catholic families had given refuge when the Protestant thought-police turned up looking for someone to burn. Funnily I don't think I've seen a place where they hid Protestants when the Catholics turned up, but there probably were some. There's no shortage of persecution and oppression on all sides.

It carried on into the Stuart period too. Guy Fawkes was a Catholic who had got a bit pissed off with Catholics being repressed, so he decided to blow up the Houses of Parliament and send all the Protestant legislators to hell or purgatory or somewhere else not particularly pleasant. Guy Fawkes is also known as the last person to enter Parliament with honest intentions.

And so it droned on down the centuries, right up to the present day. Someone somewhere will always find a reason to hate some group or other. But it's not entirely disadvantageous since it can be spun both ways (like most things). So, today, if you criticise Israel you're accused of being anti-Semitic. I'm not, honest I'm not. I'm just criticising Israel. But once they've dropped the anti-Semite bomb, suddenly you are the one on the defensive. Clever huh?

That's what I love about humans. We've invented millions of ways to hate people we've never even met.

- Response by spongecake, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

As a devoted ex-Catholic, I am happy to leave them to their nonsense without further rancor.

The Ku Klux Klan existed long before the concept of unions. They see themselves as the right arm (the sward arm) of Jesus Christ. That's why you'll see the sward depicted on on their banners and other things. They feel they have the moral obligation to defend Jesus Christ and smite down all enemies of Jesus.

But that is their own twisted view. Kind of like Al-Qaeda. And like Al-Qaeda doesn't represent Muslims, the KKK doesn't represent the church or the views of Christians.

It's sad that you base your views about the Republican Party on events over 150 years ago. And yet, you don't base your views of the Democratic Party on events 50 years, 40 years, or even the last few months.

- Response by cosmicdog0, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Denver, Science / Engineering

well, what about the rastafarians? huh? what about them? they're full of that hateful ganja...

Well there will always be hateful people, because there will always be people that think they are the only right ones in the world. My mother didn't like catholics, because her friend was dogged for money when her husband died and she got a big settlement. But I have told her that all churches do that. My dad came from vikings and my mom from shipbuilders, so I imagine that would qualify me for some hatred from certain people. If we would just blame the actual people that are responsible we would be better off.