Why do women gain weight after getting married?
Diet & Health / 12:03 PM - Friday April 02, 2010

They already caught their man so they don't have to watch their weight anymore?

- Asked by A Life of the Party, Male, 22-25, Student

I never did accept when I was pregnant. Sure, I fluctuated 10 pounds here and there....

My thought is that even after you are married, you need to behave like you are dating. You owe it to your spouse to stay in the same shape you were when you were married. Letting things go--whatever those things may be--often leads to divorce. It's also unfair to your spouse.

- Response by myndseye711, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35

Yeah, we stop trying when the guy stops woo'ing us.

- Response by jillopo, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35

That's a two way street...Men gain weight..

Most women put on extra pounds once they have children...

Men put on those pounds just because their women wait on them by feedig good meals

- Response by asia032483, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

Because we see what is waiting for us in bed so we go to the fridge.

J/K

I think it is because we feel secure in the marriage, but I think it is disrespectful to the spouse.

I couldn't care less if she gained weight.

You do realise that the US has an 80% obesity rate.

...:)

Why do MEN gain weight after getting married?

Seems way too one sided--I've known and seen a ton of men who gain a lot of weight after there married.

Maybe I'll post a question why do men go bald after getting married..

- Response by A Creative, Female, 29-35, Denver, Medical / Dental

weight has nothing to do with love...if you both are happy for how the other looks then I think thats great....because most mature people understand and accept that looks fade but what is in the heart doesn't.

- Response by honeywillowsback, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Edmonton

They don't always. I've been married for 39 years and have lost over 75 lbs. My wedding dress is several sizes too large now.

You don't have to gain weight after marriage .. you can make a conscience choice not to.

Oh and I never "caught" my man -- he wanted to marry me.

One last thing ... I don't watch my weight for anyone but ME - not to catch or keep a man!!

It could be the fact that now their lives are more stable, and they're cooking on a regular basis and eating regular meals, whereas before when they were single they were probably out and about and more active. And yes, it can also be the fact that they are not longer trying to get a man, and have let themselves go a bit. What a lot of women don't realize is that you need to do the same thing to keep a man that you did to get him. I'm wondering if this is why some men cheat, because the woman kind of takes him for granted once she has "caught" him.

I think partly it's very dramatic because women typically try really hard to lose weight for the wedding, then once that's over they can relax. They're also now living with their husband, and guys generally eat more and worse food, and it's just easier to eat the same thing he eats.

- Response by 23rosess, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

Yup that's basically it. Men usually will gain weight too, often from the bigger meals she's now making too, other times because he doesn't much care to stay in shape either or a combo of both.

Part of it is that you eat differently. You eat what your husband eats and he often is bigger, heavier and more muscular, requiring more calories than you. In addition, both men and women tend to get heavier as they get older just as the normal course of things. Then there is the issue of pregancies which tend to tack on extra pounds. Add to this being too busy with work, children and family matters to spend a lot of time at the gym and there you have it.

- Response by A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, Los Angeles, Other Profession

I would imagine it is because she if finally comfortable enough to not have to worry about being judged for what she eats when out with a new guy. The fact that she may have had kids and is not as quick to bounce back after she was pregnant. Either way though, I don't think anybody should overly worry about weight too much after they get married. And be focused on being healthy and stable together vs. trying to get back into your skinny jeans or clothes you haven't worn since college, cause neither person is the same person they were that could fit into those clothes anymore. They are older, matured, and the body changes with age. Just part of life.

- Response by CursedRomantic, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Columbus, Student

They don't have to get married to gain weight. I am seeing more and more young women, SINGLE, early 20's, with 2 or 3 kids, and they are, say, 5 ft 4 in. and weigh 200 lbs. The problem is they do not lose their pregnancy weight, and then they get pregnant again. The question is, who is making them pregnant when they are so big?

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Los Angeles, Medical / Dental