Ok....um...my friend asked me to do a baby shower for her and i am excited to do so.
Career / 3:31 PM - Thursday April 01, 2010

ok....um...my friend asked me to do a baby shower for her and i am excited to do so.

she said to plan with her and her mother. her b/f told me to work with her mother so she can pay for it all. I am in that line of business and i dont mind helping her plan. the thing is ... i can get her a gift but taking the time and resource to do this for her...i get commission off of these. i have a profilio to give her to set all this up. she comes off cheap sopmetimes. i've heard her complain before about other people and money. i wont be surprised if she does the same to me. Im trying to earn a living too and i get this feelng that she would want me to set this event up for free. ...nothing is free right now... and if i do give it to her for free it will be coming out of my pocket. i need every penny i can get right now. i'll do it for her but she will need to pay.

Update: April 01, 2010.
ok . now. i just got a text from her saying that she wants me to take control of it and leave her mother out! is she hinting? omg, i dont mind hosting something at her house but i am not going all the way and setting up venie, and geting catering service for her if shes expecting me to pay! I love her but I dont love her more than i love my own children who needs food in their mouths! argh. people are ALWAYs wanting something from me for free. i swear half the time i think thats the reason why they are all friends with me. Money. ugh.

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Los Angeles

There are always so many assumptions we make, me included, with people. We jump to conclusions, foster festering, and then find out we were wrong. A better way to go about this is to call her, ask her what she is expecting, (at her house, the mom's, a park, whatever), and ask her if she means for you and mom to plan a small party for close family and friends, etc. or if she was thinking a big gathering, catered, at a venue. If she says the later, ask her what kind of budget she and her mom had in mind.
Ask the questions, get the answers, then proceed as you are able. Maybe she asked you because she genuinely thought it would be nice for you to be a part of it. Maybe she asked you because she wanted it to be nice, thought you could pull it off well, and wanted to throw the business your way. Either way....COMPLIMENT!!!!! But I am guessing you two are not that great of friends, based on your attitude. So it is probably the later. In fact, if she says she wanted something big, tell her, "Gosh, I am so honored you thought of me, and to be honest, I could really use the income right now, so really, THANK YOU! I can't wait to get started.

- Response by bbmcgee2, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Los Angeles, Student

Level with her. Nobody in their right mind expects anyone to pony up in this economy.

- Response by thundermist04167, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

Wow, when I was pregnant with my 2 boys my freinds thru me showers cause they loved me and I was there friend and I didnt pay a dime, just like I done the same for them.

- Response by withhim, Female, 36-45

um...hello?

Did I miss the part where her baby daddy told you to work with HER MOTHER? SO HER MOTHER WOULD PAY FOR THE WHOLE THING?

Uh...duh.

I think that's what he meant kid. YOU do the work, HER MOTHER PAYS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee

Now is the time to be firm with her.You can do it.

i would find out how much they wont to spend for your service and food and stuff that goes with it and who is paying for it

- Response by abare, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Houston, Who Cares?

why not do it for the friendship?
what would you expect from her if the tables were turned?