Just whose funeral do you go to anyway?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 2:02 PM - Monday March 29, 2010

Just whose funeral do you go to anyway?

OK, so don't want to sound cold, but really do not like funerals & avoid if at all possible.

My feeling is if a friend or family member or neighbor, then yes I'll go.

My wife however disagrees. One of her girlfriends in her jazzercise class has 6-siblings & one died a few days ago. Now I've never met this woman once & don't know her name or anything about her. My wife is of course going & I rec'd a lecture from her before work this morning about me going as well this afternoon [UGH!].

My take is its her friend & if she wants to go, then fine. However, I'm expected to go also to "show my support for the family" [did I mention I've never met any of the family either other than wife's girlfriend & her husband].

So to keep the peace with my wife I'll go & stick it out. So am I being a jerk or insensitive? Would wife's girlfriend miss me if I wasn't there?
My wife's sister is also going as she met my wife's girlfriend a couople times. If I didn't go my name would be mud tonite as my wife's sister is spending the nite at our place so they can hang out.

- Asked by hsfbfan, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, San Francisco, Other Profession

I am with you on this one. Just going to a Funeral of someone you don't know is not really showing Support. They won't know you from Adam.

When it comes to Weddings and Funerals I think Intimate is best, meaning those that know and love you or the deceased only.

I think the point is that your WIFE would rather not go alone?

You can tell the little lady that I told you this

She is being SILLY!
PMS?

I don't blame you! That's just weird.

I watched my in-laws plan their social calendar around the obituary column for years. They went to the funeral of my husband's childhood piano teacher's sister. Yeah. (And it's not like they were going to see the piano teacher -- she had been dead for years!)

Some people just love funerals. Go figure.

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession