If someone takes you on a dinner date and pays but doesn't leave a tip, what would you do or say?
Dating / 9:19 PM - Saturday March 27, 2010

What if you're out with friends and they dont tip for their portion of the meal? Do you cover their share?

- Asked by ladyvog, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

With friends, I would make them feel like asses until they left a tip... but I couldn't imagine them not.

A date is a weird situation, though. First, mental note that he has jerk-tendencies. Second, if I liked him and was just confused by what he did, I might "go to the bathroom" and then go back and leave something on the table. If he was fun and down to earth, I'd sarcastically call him on it and see how he responded. If he was a jerk, though, I'd say, "Don't worry. I'll just get the waiter's tip now, so I don't have to get your tip later."

- Response by undecidedfuture1, A Creative, Female, 36-45

If it's a date I would leave a tip but probably never see him again. If it's friends I think it's customary to offer to get the tip for the complete amount of the bill.

- Response by nowornever, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older, Financial / Banking

I've had that happen and I merely bring it to their attention gently, but letting them know I do not approve of what they've just done by saying, "Oh here... let me leave the tip..."

- Response by juliehollar, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed

most definitley it is not the servers fault

- Response by taratara, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, Philadelphia, Financial / Banking

I would say pony up you cheap a$$es. And if my date pays for dinner for me, I always offer to leave the tip. If the service is good I have no problem tipping people.

Most people in the restaurant business work very hard for not much money. I tend to tip big and would cover it for those who don't. Being a good Duck, I would just do it and not talk about it!!

- Response by mrwondering11, A Creative, Male, Who Cares?, Portland, Managerial

I'd probably think he was cheap which would embarrass me...

I cover my own share and never let people suck me in to put me in that situation to begin with... all seperate bills all the time.

- Response by skycop, A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, Consulting

As a tip is technically a donation to the server I think it's upto the person wether they want to leave a tip or not so I wouldn't say anything if someone didn't leave a tip.

However If I want to add a tip because I think it's deserved then I will regardless of wether the person I'm dining with does or not.

- Response by psychoticbabe1, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

I try to help cover, but most of the time you can't cover for a group. I try to tip personally to the waitstaff or make sure they know that I was Jake about the tip. ie. Over tip by my plate or make sure he/she sees what I put down. I don't care if she thinks they're cheap or not.

- Response by poolfish2, A Career Man, Male, 66 or older, Who Cares?

When it's with a group of friends, like Skycop says, always separate bills. I've been left with trying to 'collect' the right amount way too many times and then dealing with the cheap tippers of the bunch and trying to make up the difference. It's not worth it.

With a date, if they pay for dinner, I would definitely offer to leave a tip. However, if they've already taken you out and didn't leave a tip... hmmm.... that's not good at all. Maybe your date was nervous and it was an oversight?

- Response by raynonme, A Trendsetter, Female, 46-55, Managerial

Yes, I cover the tip. If it is an oversight, it's no big deal. If it's habit, they're off the friend/dinner list.

I would cover the tip in both cases. Granted, I make sure it's a fair tip, but then again I'm a big tipper. lol And if my date insisted on paying but didn't leave a tip or left a bad tip for a good wait-person, I would have an issue with that.

- Response by pudgeybunny, A Hippie Chick, Female, 26-28, Artist / Musician / Writer

I always tip big. Always. $10 minimum.... eat dinner with the little one and get a bill for 45 or so.. tip $20.... the wait staff work hard and deal with too much shit.. .so I tip well Always...

- Response by timeforanoverhaul, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Managerial

I would thank them for the dinner and educate the date that the servers depend on tips. I live in Texas and here servers are only paid $2.13/hr and must tip out to bartenders/busers/foodr unners etc. a percentage of thier sales. Then I would place a tip on the table and tell them the appropriate percentages of tipping.

- Response by Female, 29-35, Dallas

It is often done that one person pays the bill and the other person gets the tip. That was more common before card payments.

Generally, if someone pays for your meal, you should leave a tip. Why should they have to get both, when both of you were served?

- Response by bts4life20, A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28, Self-Employed

With my friends, I would make them feel bad if they didn't leave a tip, unless they couldn't afford to, then I would probably cover it. My two best friends are waitresses tho, so I usually don't have to worry about them not tipping. With my fiance, I usually offer to leave the tip if he pays. Sometimes, he let's me leave it, and sometimes not. I pay for dinner occasionally too, but not too often cause he makes more money than I do. But the waiter always gets a good tip, unless he's just plain rude and the service really sucks.

- Response by 0darkfairyprincess0, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Atlanta, Student

One thing I appreciated about my now fiance is that he ALWAYS tips decently.

I DID notice, when I was dating, that it was a pattern: a jerk was almost always cheap with tips and stuff.

My friends wouldn't pull something like that--and if they did, I'd reevaluate whether they were friends. Seriously, it sounds like a little thing, but it shows a lot about a person.

If someone takes me to dinner, it is customary for the recipient of the largess to offer to pay the tip. If its a guy asking a woman on a first date, he should pay the tip also. After that she should offer to pay the tip

- Response by gilpill, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Chicago, Internet / New Media

That happens twice and after that I ask for a seperate check and when it comes hand the gal a bill large enough to cover my meal AND the tip and tell her to keep it if possible. And I am bold...I point out to my friends that they are stiffing their waitresses and have done so in the past and that I'm expecting them to anti up 20% on their own bills.

- Response by joybird, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

i'd leave the tip
some people want everything free -must be the welfare mentality in this country

- Response by tpass419, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Alternative Medicine

I would wonder how they woudl treat their friends, family and how they would treat ME. It certainly would make me question why they could be so cheap with someone they know makes very little (even more so with our bad economy, when people eat out less)...

I would end up tipping the waitstaff on my own, and make sure he saw me do it. Any "lip" from him about it, and that would most likley be my last date.

You do not need to know someone personally in order to treat them nicely, with dignity and respect. Whether you think they earned it, they make but $2 and some change PER HOUR. No tip is downright RUDE.

GAME OVER.

- Response by iowaczechartist, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Well, the non-tipper might just be from an European country where there's no tipping whatsoever so I guess just a friendly reminder would the appropriate reaction.

- Response by windlord, A Guy Critical, Male, 26-28, Who Cares?

I wouldn't go on a second date with someone like that..you can tell what they think of people. It's either he's too broke to go out to eat and you'll never get to go again or he just has such little respect for people and common sense that he doesn't deserve a girlfriend.

- Response by luckyinkentucky, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

..i usually feel bad and put in a couple extra dollars..i used to be a server in my early twenties and know what it's like for some folks to just leave me a bunch of dirty dishes...

- Response by michellekia, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, St.Louis, Other Profession

I would probably think alittle less of them and put a tip on the table myself....but, maybe they just forgot to tip, or paid with a credit card and put the tip on the receipt. I guess it wouldn't be a deal breaker tho.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Student

just carry extra cash incase*

If I saw my date NOT leave a tip---I would leave a tip and never go out with the guy again. A guy I was dating left like 14.9% tip and I felt he was so f-ing cheap I left a few more dollars and I was horrofied.

In a group of people that I am trying to collect all the $ to pay the bill and realize some people paid shor or are f-ing cheap ass tippers I'd say I need more money or I would throw it in myself and be very annoyed. I would not want to associate with people who are poor tippers.

- Response by meowmeowww, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

Yes, I do cover their share... it's not the waiters fault that I have a shitty friend that doesn't tip, so I try to compensate by paying their portion. All it does is make a lot of people not wanna go out to eat w/ a non-tipper ever again, so not tipping only decreases the amount of friends you'd have willing to go out to eat w/ you.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Financial / Banking