School Bus driver is making fun of my daughter to other children on the bus.
Family & Parenting / 12:12 PM - Thursday March 25, 2010

My 11 year old is being made fun of by her school bus driver. A few months ago the bus driver call her the B word in front of the whole bus, but the bus company could not prove that she said that to my daughter. (I had 4 witnesses) Yesterday my daughter left her cell phone on the bus and the bus driver went through her phone during the day and once the other kids got on the bus the driver told several girls about her tex messages. Then made fun of my daughter to these girls talking about how she smells. I've talked to both the school and the busing office and they told me they are going to investigate. Does anyone know anything I can do to get this women to stop being mean to my daughter?

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have been driving her to school the last couple of days and will keep driving her until it is resolved. I have talked to both the bus company (contracted by school)and the principal. The principal has called me a couple of times telling me what she is doing to find out what happened. She thinks that the witnesses that I have, have no bearing since 1 is her sister and the others are our neighbors. The bus company has no returned my call today but I will be calling her again tomorrow and everyday until she can tell me something. I think it would be a good idea to get family services involved and even a lawyer though I would rather things be cleared up without doing so. I would love to be able to inflict phyical pain on this POS but I don't think that would be a very good example to my kids on how to handle problems. Thanks again for the help.

- Asked by spiceylibra, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Kansas City, Administrative

You need to file a lawsuit ASAP. It won't cost much and it will get the job done. With 4 witnesses and a complaint from you they should have moved her or sent her home during an investigation. This can get you money and she will get hers. Or, take a baseball bat to get knees in a dark place.

- Response by weehead, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

send a certified, return receipt requested letter to the bus company threatening a law suit if this "emotional harrassment" of a minor does not cease and desist immediately. send a copy of that same letter to the local school board and to the principal of the school.

i can almost guarantee that the issues you raise will be dealt with very quickly, and to your complete satisfaction.

This woman should loose her job, it seams to me that she's obviously not mature enough to have it if she's making fun of a 11 year old. that's something that you should go to the school board about. obviously the school isn't aware of how immature their employees are.

- Response by marcyamazing, A Life of the Party, Female, 22-25, Seattle, Student

suck it up and quit trying to control everything
So your Daughter smells and she is irresponsible!!
what is an 11 year old doin with a cell phone
they cause brain cancer !!

- Response by tpass419, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Alternative Medicine

You should confront her personally and ask what the issue is that causes her to want to bully an 11 year old or have your husband ask her.

go confront her. that's what i would do.

- Response by jackstraw, A Life of the Party, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?

what the?
do everything you can to get this guy fired. What a jerk. honestly.

- Response by girlpower08, A Sportif, Female, 36-45

HIre a lawyer and have the lawyer deal with this issue, beginning with a written demand that the bus driver be assigned to a different route or else suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.

There is no reason on earth your child should have to put up with shit like this from a dysfunctional loser.

- Response by A Rebel, Male, 46-55

WHAT!?!? I would be livid!!! As a mom my first thought is to confront the bus driver with threats and choice words but, that's not the way to go.

Proof... that's what you need. Get your daughter a discrete hand-held recorder and have her turn it on right before she gets on the bus or have her call you as she's getting on the bus then put her call on speaker and record what's going on.

You can put in a complaint to the Department of Children and Families....I'm not sure what laws you have there but contact a lawyer and ask for some advice on what to do. The bus driver is very wrong in this situation....sometimes you gotta take things into your own hands and make a complaint out at the police department and have them do a follow up.

f'in bitch needs a pounding! seriously, she's f'ed up!
i hope she gets fired and never finds a job again.

Call the principal and the bus company everyday and ask were they are in the investigation. Squeaky wheels gets the grease.
If they drag their feet or you not happy with the findings, Channel 41 in KC has the Call for Action line. Your story has kids being harassed, maleficence and bureaucratic incompetence in public employees and government contractors, a anguished mother... they may be interested in helping.
Hopefully you don't have to that far though.
Best of luck.

- Response by falsehammer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Kansas City, Consulting

Get in that bitche's face and say, "KEEP MESSING WITH MY KID BITCH, AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS."

you can ask the school to get the bus company to put a tape in the camera box anonomously so the driver can be checked.
this is horrible.

First off, I run right up to this bus driver and have a little talk of my own. When the daughter is getting picked up I would be with her. I would ask the bus driver to step out of the bus for a word. Then, very eloquently, I would tell the bus driver of what your daughter was saying. Ask the bus driver if she agrees with what your daughter is saying. If she denies it you tell her that your daughter is coming home in tears because of what the the bus driver says. Tell the bus driver how you are bringing an investigation on her. Then, lower your brow and say this with ever bit of "mother protecting her young" anger, "I would hate to find out that your behavior was out of line. I just don't know if I could control myself if I found that you were abusing my flesh and blood."

- Response by 7zebras, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, New York, Financial / Banking

Get a tape recorder, tell your daughter to leave it on & out of sight each time she talks to this driver.

You'll get the evidence you need soon.

- Response by A Player, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

I wrote this response yesterday to another mother whose child was being bullied...

"While I'm sure it's upsetting for one's baby to have her feelings hurt, please understand that this is such normal grade school behaviour as to be laughable.

I was teased in grade school. By my eventual best friends in high school.

The only real problem I had was a mom who over reacted all the time and made things worse. All I wanted was for her to hug me. Not change the world."

It is slightly different when it's a adult joining in -- but really, what a sorry excuse for an adult. Give your daughter a hug. Tell her you love her. Get her involved in non-school activities -- sunday school, Guides, volunteering, sports, anything for outside of school influences.

you are handling the situation extremely well.i dont know what i would of done probably would of confronted the bus driver and it would of gotten completely out of hand and one of us would of left the conversation with a busted lip and black eye and it wouldnt of been me.lol..i would call the school as well and ask them to help hurry up the investigation so this doesnt happen to another child.i would complain to the school until they made a move to talk to the bus company.

- Response by unbreakablesilence, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

It might cost you a littl but have a attorney write a letter to the school and the school board. This will do wonders for getting their attention and straightening things out.
Just you talking to the people at school will usually be ignored by them.

- Response by downwind, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

Get the schools administrative offices involved.Not the principal the superintant of schools.Student personal office. There is a problem and it doesn't sound like it is going to stop soon. Or if possible drive her and sue for your time and gas and extream duress. Lastly confront her when no childern are around,bring along a witness(an adult).

- Response by helencookssometimes, Female, 56-65, Baltimore, Executive

Have your daughter take a recording device on the bus and know how to turn it on and off. Any recording of an adult verbally trashing your daughter may not hold up in court (the recording laws), but it may be enough to get the driver fired or moved to another route (at least) by the bus company.

This may only work if she can sit close to the driver, but it's worth a try.

I also would ask for the drivers name so you can do a check on them for any violations involving children. You would be surprised how many perps are out there working alongside kids who should be banned.

- Response by iowaczechartist, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Hey,

This is awful. Do you know any guy who is pretty strong or sporty that could have a few 'words' with him? Make sure that it is set up so that it has nothing to do with you or your legal proceedings. Just scare the f//k out of him, as her is obviously a coward anyway.

If I weren't in the UK, I'd do it myself!

- Response by scifiobsessive2010, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Leeds, Administrative

Sorry, just noticed it is a woman bus driver. But same goes, just a sporty/tough woman to visit her...

Hidden mike and camera perhaps? I honestly do not know what to tell you short of pulling the driver out of the bus and whipping her ass.

I would buy a self-activated voice recorder and hide it on your daughter while she rides the bus for a few days. They can't deny a direct recording. Just check to see if this is legal in your state. In Texas it is, but I am not sure about your state. Otherwise you can try to find other less partial witnesses and convince them to talk about what the bus driver has done. Schools are notoriously resistant to ending bullying, for some reason, so it may take a lawsuit to resolve this issue. No way the bus driver should get away with this. Young people have committed suicide over being bullied.

sounds like you are doing the right thing. driving her to and from school will show that you are cncerned and won't tolerate this kind of behaviour from a state employee. just keep writing letters to the school board and all the government agencies involved. hopefully she will be fired. she has no business being in that position if she cannot be a responsible and mature adult.

- Response by divadancer2, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

IF this woman is on contract with the school then take the matter to the school board and let your daughter tell them what happened, what was said and what was done to her so that the school board knows what is happening because the Principal may have heard your complaint but may not bring it to the school board...at least this way, there is a formal complaint made to both the bus company and the school board and this woman will go on file as someone they might not want driving bus again...my brother is a bus driver and this is the way that he had to deal with a student who was in high school and took a shot at him and the student was expelled from the bus for the remainder of the school year...this woman has NO RIGHT to victimize ANY student and letting her know that you're not going to let her get away with it will definitely ensure that she knows you're someone she doesn't want to deal with...good luck and hope things work out for you and your daughter...:D

a "wire" comes to mind here, there not that expensive and you would hit the bitch where it hurts.

- Response by hotair, A Father Figure, Male, 66 or older, New Orleans, Transportation

Have your daughter turn on her cell phone voice recorder when she gets on and off the bus to catch her in the act. Once you have that kind of proof it's more valuable than 100 witnesses, then you can call the school and bus company and let them know you have total proof. Not sure what the laws are in your state, but in most states if you make a recording in person it's not illegal and even applicable in court in most states too. I've done it successfully in many cases including on the job for certain things that bosses said and even to help me get custody of my daughter too.

I am a school bus driver and am quitting my job because of this discussion. Soon there will be no one left to drive your retarded kids to school. Your children are not special. They look funny, they smell, and are super annoying. They don't listen, they make a big mess, and I wish I could pull over and kick them off my bus. Take your own stupid brat kids to school if you are going to yell at the bus driver. Our job is to provide safe transportation to and from school whilst maintaining sanity. It is very hard. Leave us alone. Ever notice that school bus companies are always hiring?

- Response by pizzatime, A Career Man, Male, 22-25