Do you think someone can die from heartbreak or get very sick from it?
Diet & Health / 5:53 PM - Tuesday March 23, 2010

do you think someone can die from heartbreak or get very sick from it?

please explain your answer... and if you've ever got your heart broken, how did it feel and heal?

thank you all for responding, you've help me understand this and how it really works. i've never really been in that situation but was curious and hungry for infomation and opnions, thank you once more......:-)

- Asked by musical85, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Student

Heartbreak can cause a depressive emotional state, and that is often linked to health problems.

- Response by thundermist04167, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

No you can't literally die from a heart break but the resulting stress can cause emotional and health problems.

- Response by donuthate, A Creative, Male, 18-21, Phoenix, Who Cares?

Some people have gone as far as suicide.

So, yes.

...:)

well some people commit suicide. that's about the only way you die from a broken heart. now as for senior citizens losing their spouse of 50 years that's another story all together, and that is not what you are going through.

there are many ways to get over a relationship, i like writing my feelings out.

- Response by 57alexb, A Career Man, Male, 56-65, Transportation

In older ppl, when their mate dies, they sometimes give up, quit eating, etc. and die within a couple mos. then ppl say they died from a broken heart.

a broken heart an expression of course, typically heals with in a month or so after a romance comes to an end, then the grief subsides gradually, and voila, back in the dating scene,

- Response by dreamspinner, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Chicago

There always remains a crack and it was from my best friend that I grew up with who I lost contact of for about 15 years found him again and it was like it was soo meant to be yet found out it really wasn't when he took off to the store for over an hour with a friend who I was supposed to be cooking her birthday dinner for. He came back and got right in the shower. I didnt' say a word but they confronted me then after I said what I felt they both dropped out of my life. Still healing and as I said not sure the cracks ever fill but hey you live and you learn what is meant to be is and what is not is not.

- Response by melodyalise, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Salt Lake City, Managerial

yes if they lose the will to live

yes its possible since ur sad and stressed it lowers ur defense system making it a bigger possibility to get sick and the best way to deal with a broken heart is to look at the positive side of things not looking at the end of the relationship like the end of the world bu instead as an opportunity to start over fresh...

- Response by mindgames, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Student

Yes, Johnny Cash, died months after his wife died. There are cases that a heartbreak can cause stress but the person has the choice to feel depressed and choose to die. There are some that overcome their grief and then continue to live longer and continue their own adventure.

- Response by womanv, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, New York, Self-Employed

you can stop caring about yourself and stop being able to eat and function so probably could get sick

- Response by sarah2828, A Life of the Party, Female, 26-28, London

Yes I think that people can, and do, die from broken hearts and even have heart-attacks as a result of too much stress on the heart...there have been studies done that show that too much stress, pain and poor eating can cause a person who is suffering from heartbreak to become sick and possibly die because the heart is an organ that is affected by any health problems that are caused in the body...also, heartbreak is different for everybody and how they deal with it and how they deal with the stress associated with it is very different and that's when death or sickness can come into play when/if a person has heartbreak...I've had heartbreak in my life when family members died or when a relationship ended and it felt like an overwhelming feeling of pain and sorrow that sometimes felt like it would never heal but someway, somehow I got through it and learnt to love again...it's kind of like depression or feeling really sad because all one wants to do is die, quit living, just be left alone, not find any 'enjoyment' in anything and just basically, left alone to 'heal'...it takes time, patience and just allowing yourself to go through the emotions that helps healing take place but I've known people who have been so 'crippled' by the effects of heartbreak that they just 'give up' and can make themselves physically sick...at times, during the process of healing, it can feel like one will never feel 'normal' again but with faith, strength and hope, it does get better and it does take varying times for people to get through heartbreak...:D

Of course. Ususally see it in the elderly though. When a spouse dies they just give up and let go.

- Response by TheSshhmoe, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Student

Yes you can die of heartbreak. I have seen many times when a spouse dies and then the other spouse will die very soon after. They loose the will to live. Stress kills.

- Response by mags625, A Thinker, Female, 56-65