Do you tip your friendly neighborhood Subway sandwich preparer?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 2:34 PM - Monday March 22, 2010

It seems everyone has a tip jar out now.

I would consider tipping them, but then when I ask for olives I only get like a half olive worth of olives. So NO TIP FOR YOU!

- Asked by quikslvr, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Washington, DC, Lawyer

The last time I went to subway, they didn't have a tip jar. But it's been a while.
To me, Subway is fast food. I don't tip the burger flipper so why should I tip the olive stuffer?
If I have to go to the counter and carry my own food around, I don't tip. If they come to my table and take my order and bring my food to me, I tip.

- Response by falsehammer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Kansas City, Consulting

I only tip waiters and delivery people as far as food goes.

I know what you mean about everyone having a tip jar out. I went to the convenience store awhile back. I had a couple of singles and a twenty. My purchase came out to two dollars and some change. Rather than break the twenty, I handed the cashier the two dollars, then looked in the 'take-a-penny-leave-a-p enny' jar for the other three or four cents.

The lady screamed at me, "THOSE ARE MY TIPS!"

I'm sorry, I must be losing my damn mind, cuz I coulda swore you just said you were expecting a TIP for RINGING UP MY GUM!?!?

- Response by rokitman, A Creative, Male, 36-45, Artist / Musician / Writer

No I only tip a server if I'm being waited on at a table or counter. A sandwich to go falls under the category of minimum duty.

As I sit and read this question I am also eating a Subway roasted chicken sandwich... it's good. And no, I don't tip at fast food restaurants... and yes Subway is considered fast food. I only tip when I'm seated and waited on at a table.

- Response by froggystyle, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Student

I had no idea they expected tips. hmmmmm does mickey d's expect tips, also? i only tip at a set down restaurant or a drive in with car hops. I'll scope out subbie, the next visit for a tip jar.

- Response by dreamspinner, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Chicago

I don't tip counter persons whether at a coffee shop or Subway.
but, I'll tip at a sit-down joint... where, I'm being "served".

no if i tipped them they would be making more than me lol i will tip a server

- Response by misdestar, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Self-Employed

I might throw my change in there if it's coins.

Oh I just hate that, I ask for extra olives and they look at me like I'm trying to rob the place blind. LOL

I wouldn't tip if they had a jar out at our local Subway, I think tipping is getting out of control and employee's should be fighting tooth and nail to get better wages. That isn't ever going to happen if the public continues to support them. That isn't to say I don't generously tip the pizza guy or waitress at a restaurant but I still think it's outta hand. Even the chinese places now have tip jars out at the buffet and you have to serve yourself as well as tip the waitress that takes the plates and brings your drinks. Oy!

Nah. I've never tipped at a place like that. It seems to me that making the sandwich is what they're paid for in the first place. What extra did they do above and beyond to deserve a tip?

No, I don't tip just anyone.

Sorry no, the kid at Subway doesn't get a tip. If he wants to make more $$ then Subway needs to pay him more.