Why do we pay SO MUCH in taxes??
Race, Religion & Politics / 4:24 PM - Friday March 19, 2010

Why do we pay SO MUCH in taxes??

In RUSSIA, yes the old Soviet Union, they only pay 15 percent for all income brackets. Is there a political party or candidate here in the USA that would support this level of taxation? Could we ever get that done?

Not to complain, but we are being treaded on BIG time. I want nothing to do with social security, medicare, medicade, obamacare, a 1 trillion dollar army, etc etc.

Why can't I opt out?? Keep your programs, I'll keep my money. Everyone who wants them can pay in, leave the rest of us alone.

Short of moving to the Virgin Islands (which I actually am considering), is there any hope for my plans for this country?

- Asked by misshannah911, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

The only true way to opt out would be to move to another country.
A flat rate (would have to be higher than 15% though) is so logical, it'll never happen.

- Response by etbass, A Creative, Male, 36-45, Executive

Your ignorance speaks volumes... You obviously don't undertand how dependent you are on the gov't. If you hate the gov't so much...get off the internet for a start...

Why do you choose to strain your limited capacity by thinking?

Compared to most other advanced Western nations we have a very low tax rate. In Denmark it's over 50%. Their health care and college education is included, and hardly anyone complains about it. It's also rated one of the happiest places on Earth.

It's no surprise that you don't know this...seeing as how you obviously believe that highways, police and fire departments, and other necessary components of our infrastructure are supposed to magically pay for themselves.

But you don't care about freedom or social justice. All you care about is your own personal greed, and that is what your entire unintelligent, nonsensical rant is about.

You're just an ugly, selfish person that can't see beyond her own desires. And you reveal exactly what you are by using words like "Obamacare."

You should know that if you use such a term, you're dismissed by thinking people immediately.

So move to the Virgin Islands and rot in the grip of your relentless greed that steals your soul. I'm sure you will not be missed.

- Response by vabyss, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

because our government spends way beyond its means and expects up to pay for it all

Riiiiiiiiiiight.....

And the police, fire department, post office, unemployment office and highway systems will just magically pay for themselves, will they? Not to mention prisons, state universities, and public libraries?

Face it. Taxes are like vaccinations. Nobody likes them, but we need them to live.

As for people with more money paying more tax, it makes sense. If you have more money, you can afford to spend more money.

The old mantra goes like this, "From each according to their ability, to each according to their need."

- Response by A Player, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

If you want to opt out then you'll have to go and live somewhere else. Since you have the privilege of living in a free society no-one will try to stop you. I think you will find the standard of living in the Virgin Islands is significantly lower than you are accustomed to, but if that's what you want then it's available to you (assuming the Virgin Islands will have you). I'm all in favour of Americans getting out more and seeing how the rest of the world lives since that would be highly educative.

I pay 40% tax on most of my income. On top of that there are many indirect taxes. For example I pay 15% value added tax on everything I buy (with the exception of some items that are zero-rated, such as food, books and children's clothes). I pay additional tax on fuel, which brings the cost of petrol (or gas as you would call it) to ridiculous levels compared to US prices. I also pay a local tax based on the value of my house for local services. I pay a tax everytime I use an airport. I pay a tax if I take out an insurance policy. I pay a tax if I invest in stocks and make a profit. I even pay a tax if I die. I'm not complaining though. In return I get many desirable things, not least of which is a healthcare system that takes care of me, free at the point of service, whenever I need it. And the people who decide what medical services I get are doctors who only have my interests in mind rather than insurance companies who only have the maximisation of their profits in mind.

So go and explore the world. I have heard many people say they will leave my country due to the high taxes, but they rarely do (I wish they would actually). So leave your country and seek a better life elsewhere. You're free, so do it rather than threatening it.

- Response by spongecake, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

Surprisingly enough, the US gov will want you to file your US income taxes no matter where you are. You can offset local income tax paid.

....you are totally justified and correct in your thinking, and are much more in tune to the Founding Fathers visions for our Country.

...and don't take anything the two retarded socialists said seriously (the idiots you awarded 'jerks' to), you see, they see people like you and I as threats to their very existence. They live off the public and feed like gluttonous hogs at the public trough, and the mear MENTION of their free rides being taken from them will produce the screaming that one would normally expect to hear from and infant......niether has ever made anything of themselves on their own, and never will.

Trust me, I made a fortune with my business sense....never made a wrong business decision... EVER. You are RIGHT to not accept the government taking your hard earned money to finance the retard professional students, whiney welfare cases and other losers.

- Response by nameacarl, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, Who Cares?, Oostende, Self-Employed

Check out the Libertarian party.
The USA used to not have income tax at all, didn't for most of it's history.

Okay, when you get sick, can't find a secure job, and are old and need of prescriptions you can't afford, repeat what you just said now. I bet you'll think otherwise. Taxes are there for a reason....to give you the services you need.

fanny.

- Response by fanny500, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Financial / Banking

Then move to Russia. Anywhere else, the taxes are HIGHER than here. Americans love to bitch about taxes, but actually taxes here are quite low, relatively speaking. Last year, including state and local taxes AND social security, I paid less than 25% of my income in taxes, and most of you probably paid about the same. Thats pretty damn low in my opinion.

- Response by xerxes, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Washington, DC, Lawyer