Should I ignore him if he decides to take too long to call?
Friendship / 8:40 AM - Wednesday March 17, 2010

I'm using online dating. I've been communicating (via email) with a guy. We have a lot of similar interest, etc. After a few days of emailing, I asked if he'd be comfortable exchanging #'s. He said that he'd "love to start talking on the phone and set a date to meet up", but said he's a bit "traditional" and prefers to call me first. So he asked me to share my #, but didn't offer his. So, I emailed him my # on Sunday. In the email, I also mention that I'm going out of town till Tuesday (yesterday). But I didn't get a call or email fromhimwishing me safe travels. I understand him being "traditional" and wanting to call first, but I think it's rude for a guy (who's interested in you) to get your #, but not call you within 2 days. I wondering how long I should wait for this guy to call. It's now Wednesday, and still no word from him, but I can see that he's still active on the dating site. Why hasn't he called?

He most likely gave you time to settle after you came back.Give him a few days.

IMHO, most guys who have good sense about women needing security with dating, will not expect you to give your phone number out before they do. I understand possibly that he might be afraid you'll start calling all the time, as some people do. But still, you should let the guy give his number first.

Having said that don't worry about him calling. I'd give him til tonight. You told him you would be gone through Tuesday so he's probably just being polite. However if he doesn't call in next day or two, I'd assume he had lost interest. Either way no harm, no foul. You can just move on too.

- Response by annandfam, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

He hasn't called because he hasn't called. End of story.

In my experience, if an online introduction doesn't lead to a phone call and date within about 2 days, it's never going to happen.

You're only option is to say, Next!

Two days is not not long. But if he does call you on Thursday or Friday if you like, tell him you make plans that weekend and make plans for the following week. Plus, since you don't know him, date him during the week. Weekend dates are when you have established a connection and the guy wants to be with you. If he has a called and you guys haven't met then honestly don't contact him at all. Let him make the move. But if you don't hear from him, move on. There isn't anything to hold on to when there wasn't anything at all. Cheers.

- Response by womanv, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, New York, Self-Employed

Yeah, if you can hold yourself back, if he calls then say you are busy for the first suggestion then see if he offers another time. He is already showing he's a MACHO man. ha

The guy can't make up his mind. Move on. If he's interested, he will make the next move.

- Response by thundermist04167, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?