Is it OK for a 30 year old guy to only want to date 18-24 year old girls?
Dating / 4:46 PM - Saturday March 13, 2010

I mean, if he keeps looking he'll find one. But, isn't that gross?

You are right, and it would be my guess that anybe he cannot find a 30 year old dumb enough to date him so he picks on the young ones...

- Response by rogerrabbitxoxo, A Creative, Male, 56-65, Transportation

He sounds pretty immatureto want to date girls as young as 18 - why can't he find a woman his own age who will have him?

if its not under 18 i dont really think its grosse!not a terrible age difference!i seen worse!
people like what they like!

- Response by bintee, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Calgary, Who Cares?

Eighteen year olds, yes. Twenty four year old girls, no.

hell ya I like guys in there 40ts

There is no hard and fast rule. These are the girls who offer themselves to guys of any age. It appears that the society is men-governed. I am with the girls who revolt against it that they will not accept an age difference as the men do now-a-days.

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?, Chicago, Who Cares?

Nothing wrong with it.

- Response by prettyladylady26, A Trendsetter, Female, 22-25, Food Service

My mom was 20 and my dad was 31 when they married...during WWII. They raised a family and were happily married for almost 50 years.

That's an 11 year age difference. What you are talking about is a 6-12 year difference....which is NOTHING.

You people who are hung up about this are nuts. Geeze!

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Retired

Wat is the real problem? I honestly dont see anything wrong with that and I dont find it "GROSS", its pretty normal. It is seen that most younger girls/women perfect older guys becuz they are more mature and in some crazy way some older women perfect younger guys....no harm in that. In fact, I personally perfect my guys that way....am 20 and my boyfriend is 32 and in my society nothings wrong with that.

- Response by Sexyilious, A Trendsetter, Female, 22-25, Student

No. Why would that be gross? He's simply attracted to younger women. I don't understand why people make such a big deal about age differences in a relationship. My boyfriend is 15 years older than me. It doesn't affect us at all.

- Response by myndseye711, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Vladivostok, Celebrity

sounds like he just wants to control women. he should try to date others closer and above his age, if he truly were a man.

why do you care? its between them.

- Response by A Career Man, Male, 46-55, New York, Who Cares?

For most of human history it was STANDARD for a husband to be 10 or more years older than the wife. My father, for example, was 12 years older than my mother. Only since the last half of the 20th century has anti-marriage feminism made it suspect for young women to date the men who are old enough to marry and support them.

if they are 18 or older it is fine

Honest;y, he is shallow to make such a stupid age range rule. He likes younger woman and I bet he is only interested in sex. A real man will get to know someone before age matters.

Be Good!

Sincerely,

Miss I Can Help

- Response by missicanhelp, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Los Angeles, Consulting

What is the difference, I've known women in their 40's and 50's that were still selfish, greedy kids and I know girls in their teens that are far more down to earth, realistic, easy going and fun and who have dated guys their age and even in their 20's and find they have more fun and get along better with older men in their 30's and 40's and they love to learn from such men to.

Throughout most of human history this was very normal and it's only in the past 50 years or so that people think there is something wrong with it. Even the founding fathers married teenage girls while they were in their 40's and 50's and the idea that their was something wrong with them never occurred to anyone....check your history.

i am 19 and i like a 27 year old..
maybe he wants youthful people in his life? have things be a little lighter???

- Response by meganrocks1322, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, San Diego, Student

No.
Why would a 6 year age difference be gross?
Even 12 isn't too much.

As long as they're adults, it isn't gross.

- Response by chessplayer, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Administrative

I think its typical. Anything to keep them from facing the reality that their better years are behind them.

- Response by mortaune, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Student

if you apply dog years to ugly chicks...they'll be much older than him... no idea what point i'm trying to make....just an observation.

- Response by kramer, A Hip Hop Guy, Male, 46-55, Celebrity

creepy to me...I have kids 22 and 18...what in the world would a 30 year old want with them???

makes me think a 30 year old could not find someone his own age...yeah yeah...my parents were also 11 years apart and happily married for 60 years....still....it's weird

- Response by scooper, A Sportif, Female, 46-55, Dallas, Who Cares?

I'm 30 and I'd have a hard time dating a girl younger than 24. I prefer the 26-28 age range.

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35

If it doesn't bother her, then it shouldn't bother you. It all has to do what the woman is looking for a man?

- Response by itsbeenalongtime, A Player, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?

There's an old Muslim tradition that a man's wife should half his age, plus seven.
That makes 22 the ideal age of a woman for a man who is thirty.

Yes, if he ONLY wants to date them that young. I personally lose any attraction to a guy that is willing to date an 18 year old. They are still in HIGH SCHOOL at that age! Women are not women at that age, they are still little girls. They have not experienced life and their brains are still developing, especially the judgement part (frontal cortex I believe?)Why would he not want to date a WOMAN, someone who actually knows how to pay her bills, have a career, etc?

If he was 40 and was interested in 30 year olds, that's different. It's about being a WOMAN and not a LITTLE GIRL.

- Response by jasmine27, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

yeah, it shows the immaturity lvl in the guy himself that he needs to be with a semi child that young, she's barely a woman yet and inexperienced. The guy just wants to be the alpha and control a little girl. Plus the young girl has no control in their real feelings , they are looking for a daddy image which will wear off eventually and they have a whining syndrome usually.

i will answer this for myself. I can only speak for myself. when i see myself, i see myself as a young guy, regardless of what age i am. I feel young, i look young, i have a great body. in my mind, im a young dude. so naturally, i want to date young girls. its not about making me feel young, so i want to date younger girls. i'm simply not attracted to women my own age, cause to me, they look old. they remind me of my mom. thats why, i never give out my age, even if asked, i just say, id rather not say. alot of it has to do with how the guy sees himself. at least it is with me.

- Response by roguevampire, A Rebel, Male, 66 or older, Boston

I'm 19 years old and i'm currently dating a 37year old. everybody says hes old enough to be my dad, but i don't think age should matter. I feel i can learn alot from him cus he's older. & Being around him makes me act more grown and mature. So i see nothing wronge with it

- Response by nilla90, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 22-25

i am 18 and my boyfriend is 31. i see nothing wrong with it. he look like he's 20, and so do i. crazy as it maybe to most people he is not controlling,we have a 50/50 relationship.our age difference doesn't mean I'm looking for a father figure i have a dad. our love for each other is stronger than any of the pain a younger man put me through.

- Response by A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 18-21, Houston, Medical / Dental

There's nothing gross about it but young girls are unpredictable at best!! It is a myth that young women mature faster than men. It is easy to associate men playing with video games to not match their age but there are plenty of women in their 30s who do not know what they want and change their mind so often that's why you often hear the saying that women are hard to understand!!

- Response by A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45

age is only a number. in some cases, for the wrong intentions, it is creepy. in others, completely not. a lot of people hit their thirties (and even forties for that matter) expecting to have matured into the concept of "adults" that they held a decade prior....only to discover that they are pretty much the same as at 23, with a little more wisdom.

when you become an adult or are entering adulthood, the more relevant question is your stage in life. women absolutely need to protect themselves from creepers but also have an incredible amount to gain from a mature man who can both appreciate and treat them they way they deserve...of course, vice-versa as well.

at the end of the day, we are all seeking HAPPINESS. if we are so blessed to find it with another individual in a mutually beneficial relationship, we should count ourselves lucky and realize our blessings rather than compare stats to find fault. height, weight, age, ethnicity, etc... they all mean nothing when compared to love.

- Response by A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35

I do not think age matters...my bf is 30 and i'm 18 and we get along very well and i learn alot from him and he learns from me 2.I don't care what ppl thinks. Our relationship is very strong,we love each other and that's all that matters...and for u ppl who think it's stupid cause he likes someone younger...isn't it his choice??? I always act mature for my age..so i don't see the problem

- Response by tillisa, A Life of the Party, Female, 22-25, Student

Love who u wanna love ..age doesn't matter...My bf is 30 and i'm 18 and we both love each other...we r both down to earth..funny and love each others company...TO hell with what u negative ppl think!

This is in response to sexylious and others I am currently in this situation I am 20 and my boyfriend is 31 and my parents dont know about it. If I tell them they will remember it as the guy at gym who tried to pick me up and dad thinks they r only after one thing.! He also has a tat on his arm saying eckie which was his past. But my parents will say absolutely not what do I do I wanna be with him but my parents wont accept it. My parnets r 12 yrs apart but didnt meet till 28 and 40. so what do I do I wanna tell them but they will say no. need help

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, 22-25, Melbourne

Personally people are way too obsessed and opinionated with the lives of other people. Stop being judicial pricks!

This is how it should be and noone else matters.
you like someone and its not against the law for you to be with them, and they like you too why not give it a try, it will either work or it wont.

If two people develop feeling for each other 18+ it should not matter to you or anyone else and it is perfectly fine whether or not you like it.

- Response by A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Tampa, Who Cares?

I believe the main point is whether or not people are happy with each other. Coming on the net to get advice is ok, but remember you're dealing with all kinds of people who will be judging you and wishing their misery upon you for whatever reasons they have. For example, you have a woman or a few that have been voluntarily chasing bad boys all their life and now they're bitter so they want to discourage others by telling people that the *ONLY* reason he wants to date younger is because he wants to control or manipulate them. Not only do they say that, but say it as if they actually know the guy and his intentions and state it as a fact based purely on THEIR OWN experiences, forgetting that not everyone in the world is like the men they spent much of their lives chasing.

Point here is that while you're taking advice, you also have to THINK about what people are saying and WHY they are saying it, THEN make a decision. You have to ask yourself "why is this person supportive of it / why is this person very bitter about it?"

In reality, age is nothing but a number, and the true problem is whether or not other people who aren't happy with their lives / choices will try to wish their laws and commandments upon you as an attempt to control your life and make you live how THEY believe you should live. However, I do wonder what people would say if the guy was 40 years old and wanted 18-24 year old girls? Hmmmmm That's what makes this entire thing so confusing because the question is where do you draw the line, if there is one.

I used to be the "I don't want to date anyone who's under a certain age" type (I'm 31) and spent an incredible amount of time secretly wishing to get older so I could heighten the age. This was all due to being bullied in high school and thinking everyone in their late teenage to early 20's was no good. Now that I'm 31, I am in college and have met a few people I've connected with on somewhat of a deep level - and did so BEFORE I discovered how old they were. One of these people are 19, yet we truly enjoy each other's company, and she still accepts me although I'm not the "bad boy" type! As much time as we spend together between classes, I know for an absolute fact that we'd get along perfectly on a date (the only thing keeping our time spent together from being considered a date is that we always stayed on campus).

So, my opinion is that if the person makes the other person happy and they enjoy each other's company, then a 10 or 11 year difference shouldn't matter THAT much (starting from late 19's and up, but then again, it's MY experience I'm wishing upon you, see?) However, I don't know what I'd think if it were a 45 year old with a 20 year old. I question what life would be like if we weren't given ages. What would life be without societal rules and restrictions? I'm sure all unnecessary bullying and fighting would diminish!

Lastly, on another page discussing a similar topic, one girl said she's 19 and dates a guy who's 31, but she considers it all the same generation because she has TWO brothers who are older than her boyfriend. A parent mentioned that she'd prefer her daughter to be with a 30 year old who has more experience than a 20 year old who only cares about drinking, partying, and having sex. I guess there can be complications when it comes to life stages and finances if the 30 year old wants to save money but the 20 year old just wants to feel pampered and luxurious buying unnecessary things and similar type situations. But then again, you can have people in their late teens, early 20's who matured much faster than normal kids (like I did) and never cared to be a part of that clubbing, partying, drugs phase, therefore having a hard time to enjoy and meet friends around the same age at that time. Oh, and the benefit of NOT doing all that crazy stuff when I was in my late teens and 20's is that I actually look like I'm 20 NOW!

PS, I wouldn't listen to any fool who says that someone who dates younger does so because they cannot find someone their age. You can sense the bitterness in a statement like that. Sometimes the person you naturally fall for and connect with may happen to be a different age, but they're still human. If this is wrong, then we need a law passed stating that ALL people are required to ask AND give their real ages upon meeting to prevent people from falling for the wrong people. Once this happens, then I'll accept that age gaps are "wrong." As far as ONLY wanting 18-24, well.... I guess it all depends on how long he chooses to stick with that category and WHY he's stuck there.

- Response by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35