Why do some people leave out the o in God when writing or typing? I have seen this few times they
Race, Religion & Politics / 11:50 AM - Saturday March 13, 2010

write it like G-d. Why?

Jewish people do it because they believe it's disrespectful to God to write the full word IE. use His name in vain. At least that is my understanding.

- Response by mistyjean, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

Atheists.

...probably the same people who write, "Xmas".

Mainly Jewish people do it because they think it disrespectful to write his name down like that of a mere mortal.

- Response by A Life of the Party, Female, Who Cares?

They must think typing it is breaking the third commandment.

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

I would think , short cut .....writting like lol, lmao, luv u 2 and so on and so on.....

- Response by thewiselady2004, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

Hebrew or Jewish people think it is disrespectful to write out his whole name

- Response by A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?

Some Jews do this out of respect.

- Response by donuthate, A Creative, Male, 18-21, Phoenix, Who Cares?

I thought they were writing the short version of god damned.

- Response by lyon, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Boston, Self-Employed

you will fine out in this life that there will be unbelievers the ones who dont believe in GOD.i always write GOD'S name in upper case,i have even been ask why i would write HIS name in upper case.the reason why i do this is to show:respect,honor,to OUR FATHER that is in heaven.
myself i will show GOD the honor and the respect,i will not be ashame of GOD,if i do that then HE shall be ashamed of me.i fear no person on this earth,i know when i die i will be right with GOD HIMSELF,as anyone else that dies in this flesh body.but i'm very afraid of GOD because HE is the only one who can destory both this flesh body and and our soul.

- Response by miss10, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Home Maker

The thing about not wanting to write the name of god would hold water, if god were the name of a god, but it isn't.

I am Jewish and the reason is that the piece of paper could get torn or thrown away and that is disrespectful.

We even bury old or worn prayer books...they are as holy as a human and deserve the same respect

- Response by scooper, A Sportif, Female, 46-55, Dallas, Who Cares?

I vote C-star for lyon. To my understanding, Jews write G-d out of reverence and fear of using his name in vain, but the thing is, God is more a description than a name (just like son, or daughter, or person, or king). Effectively, they've already done the G-d thing all throughout the bible with God's actual name, which we now see today as "YHWH" (but in the old testament, this is frequently replaced with "LORD," I assume because at least it's an accurate description). YHWH is the result of letters being removed from his name so that no one could use his name in vain (because how can you misuse something if you can't even say or write it). The two most popular attempts at reconstructing his name are Yahweh and Jehovah, but I'm sure there's probably small groups out there who have other ideas on what YHWH might have meant.

- Response by ryanthegreatarj, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 26-28, Student

Out of respect for the Deity.

i have read some of the answers that you recieved.while some maybe right in doing that away,our father Abraham and even Moses would call GOD by HIS name..now in the book of ESTHER GOD'S name is lock in there 5 times and only once in the book of PSALMS,GOD HIMSELF did that so no man on this earth can change it.GOD'S name is:YHVH or YAHVEH it has no W in HIS name.while we call JESUS,JESUS,HIS name is YAHSHUA.GOD'S name is to only be used by HIS ELECT when teaching.