Is it safe to reuse plastic drink bottles
Diet & Health / 1:36 PM - Wednesday March 10, 2010

I have been on several websites reading about this and it seems the safety of reusing plastic bottles tends to depend on the vested interest of the propagating group.

I reuse Gatorade and Poweraide bottles all the time. I like sports drinks but I like water even more. Reusing the plastic bottles is cost efficient for me because I lose water bottles all the time.

What are your thoughts on this?

- Asked by kungfudewd, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?

That bottle sits on the shelf for days or weeks. How is that somehow less toxic than refilling the bottle at home? Think about that. If the water was going to pick up some toxin from the plastic it would have done so before you ever unsealed the cap.

- Response by damnpoor, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35, Other Profession

I used to reuse water bottles quite a lot. But one day I noticed that there was this plastic taste to my water. Like a REALLY bad plastic taste to the water (you'll know when this happens).

So I prefer to not reuse water bottles. Once, twice, three times is fine but no more.

- Response by mantis, A Creative, Male, 18-21

I reuse my gatorade bottles all the time.
The bottles are made of such a durable plastic, I can fill them with water, put them in the freezer, and never worry about the bottle cracking or the water leaking out after it thaws.

- Response by andrewj5267, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Miami, Teaching

Just use a sink to wash them. Not a dishwasher...

well....look on the bright side....if the plastic bottles don't end up causing you to get cancer something else will

- Response by meowmeowww, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

I've read that it's not good to reuse plastic bottles.
Something about the chemicals that the bottles contain leaching into the water/drink after just a couple of uses.

Recycle your water bottles.

"Reused Plastic Bottles Can Leach Toxic Chemicals

The same studies found that repeated re-use of such bottles-which get dinged up through normal wear and tear and while being washed-increases the chance that chemicals will leak out of the tiny cracks and crevices that develop over time. According to the Environment California Research & Policy Center, which reviewed 130 studies on the topic, BPA has been linked to breast and uterine cancer, an increased risk of miscarriage, and decreased testosterone levels."

"Even Plastic Water and Soda Bottles Should Not Be Reused
Health advocates also recommend not reusing bottles made from plastic #1 (polyethylene terephthalate, also known as PET or PETE), including most disposable water, soda and juice bottles. According to The Green Guide, such bottles may be safe for one-time use, but re-use should be avoided because studies indicate they may leach DEHP-another probable human carcinogen-when they are in less-than-perfect condition."

- Response by jenny12, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

I reuse those 2 liter soda bottles. I ignore the fear mongers. I do bleach them every so often to kill any bacteria that happens to come by.

I don't think it's safe like Jenny says as I read about the doxins in plastic bottles. I used to freeze the plastic water bottles and it isn't good. The toxin leeches out of the plastic when it's frozen and if the plastic has been in the sun. I would go for a stainless steel water bottle or an approved safe plastic water bottle.

Never heard of any such scare stories: think someone is after your money. However, considering the fact that I normally reuse mine at festivals, and not for drinking, I guess in my case it doesn't matter much anyway.

- Response by tabbycat1, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, London, Internet / New Media

The only one I reuse is my Nalgene which gets washed in between uses. The store brand plastic bottles gross me out.