How much do you think servers make?
Career / 12:06 PM - Monday March 08, 2010

how much do you think servers make?

People can be so selfish when it comes to tipping, its you who puts the money in there pocket. It should be 10% for shitty 15% for good service and 20% for WOW service! you cant afford it well dont go out to eat at least not at a restaurant!!!

- Asked by Female, Who Cares?

There are so many people that think servers and bartenders make at least min wage. As a bartender or server we do good if we are in a place making about $2.13 an hour. I always tip 20% and up depending on the person, because I know what it is like to be in there shoes. There are many reasons for getting bad service and it's not always the server or the bartenders fault.

I know that servers and bartenders do a lot of work for that little hourly pay that goes way beyond customer service. There is a entire staff of people that get paid a fairly good hourly pay that can effect how that server or bartender takes care of the people they are trying to wait on.

I am a bartender, I work at a high volume fast paced bar/night club, everyone comes in all at one time. I work any where from 8 to 10 hours a night. We are open all night, I get home around 8am. When it gets busy, I will have 10 to 15 people lined up at the bar wanting drinks, shots and food. They have questions, they dig for money, they are talking to their friends deciding what they want. All of this slows me up, in the mid time I have people yelling hey or calling my name over and over.

I have a large security guard that stands beside my bar for when people decide the throw stuff at me, call me other names, or they order 10 drinks and decide they don't want to pay for them.

That is a little of what I go through while I am serving drinks. In the mid time, I have to make sure everything is stocked before I get busy, then I have to clean up all the unbelievable mess that is left after everyone leaves. That is all off of $2.13 an hour. The really bad part is out of the 100 people I wait on a night, only about 20 of them tipped me.

We have automatic gratuity that is added to each tab after 1am. If it wasn't for that and my regular customers that come to see me weekly, I would not make any money for the hours i work.

TEN PER CENT FOR SHITTY SERVICE???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

If you work for tips? You shouldn't be GIVING SHITTY SERVICE in the first place and I am so not bothering to tip 10 PERCENT for SHITTY service!

For shitty service you get reported to the MANAGER and I so don't TIP for shitty service. There is no excuse for a shitty server. NONE. If you're having personal problems? NOT MY PROBLEM! You're at WORK!!! LEAVE your personal problems AT HOME!

But the rest yeah. I usually tip 15% for okay/good service and 20+ for wow service. AND I ALWAYS Compliment the server who gave the wow service to the manager on the way out.

I always tip at least 20%, they would have to dump the food in my lap for me to leave a bad tip. It's just good karma to take care of others.

- Response by 1junebug, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45

Servers, like many many other workers, make between minimum wage, and a few dollars more, except they get tips.

Being a server is an enviable job to someone at that income level, and to say they have it harder than some retail worker or fast food worker, is bullshit.

- Response by anothergentleman, A Father Figure, Male, 26-28, Los Angeles, Technical

Some people forget that Tipping is OPTIONAL. Yes, we see jars everywhere and many places add Gratuity of a certain amount when there's more than 8 people, which is basically Forcing a Tip and is wrong. Why not just call it what it is and make it part of the Meal's cost?

I am not paying ANYTHING for Shitty Service. Why should I? I was a Server for 3 years and I had the shitty tippers and such just like everyone else and I am a damn good tipper now b/c I know what the Servers are doing. But I'm getting really fed up with the assumed Tip or forced tipping. I don't think I automatically deserved a tip. I had to earn it.

As well, I knew how much the hourly Wage was when I took the job so I don't need people to say "well she only makes $2.13 an hour so I have to make up her salary with a good tip". That's ridiculous and I hate to hear Servers think so. Good Service = Tip. The better the Service, the bigger the tip.

If Service is bad, I simply speak to the Manager about it and then the Server will know why she didn't get a Tip. But I'll be danged if I'm just coughing up money beyond the cost of the food, for piss poor service.

People that cannot earn a decent tip shouldn't be in the "service" industry.

- Response by afirecracker, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

I love how people say "if you can't afford to tip, don't eat at restaurants". You do know that tipping is optional right? If you've got a problem with your salary, take it up with your boss.

We didn't tell you to become a waitress. Yes, I know..."any job is a job in this economic climate". Then be grateful you have a job instead of bitching to the customers who have no control over your salary or the legislations passed which mean that restaurant owners can rip off their employees.

- Response by mantis, A Creative, Male, 18-21

or maybe when they are charging 100 dollars for a twenty dollar meal for two the restaurant should consider paying their own employees

I go with 0 for shitty--they don't deserve anything; 10% for decent, 15% for good, and 20% for truly exceptional service. If they can't figure out how to at least give mediocre service they shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

I know too many servers to stiff them unless I feel i was an afterthought when I was there

- Response by hoopsjunkie, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, Indianapolis, Self-Employed

Sooo shitty service gets you 10% anyway??? Screw that.... If the service sux.... I 'll give em a Tip.........." Dont take Candy from Strangers....and Treat the people you Serve like they have your PAYCHECK!!!"

Actually, in my world, it's ZERO% and a complaint to management for shitty service, 15% for average and 20% for above-average along with a compliment to the server and his/her boss.