What you would like to tell your boss or co-worker
Career / 5:45 PM - Saturday March 06, 2010

On any job you're going to deal with difficult people. Is there anything you would like to tell your boss or a co-worker? Sometimes the truth hurts and you certainly don't want to rub the boss the wrong way. Some of us will refrain from saying things for fear of getting fired. If you've ever wanted to tell your boss off, what would you say to him/her?

- Asked by Female, Who Cares?

I think of it as being assertive. There are many in positions of management that aren't really qualified to be in such a position. Because, they are usually control-freaks, with huge egos. Any manager that is worth their weight in gold, would know that they can be stern, but realize things are better when things are being managed with respect to their employees and including them in the decision-making processes or feedback. You can't help the type of integrity or lack thereof that some bosses have. I don't fear getting fired. Because, I never believe that the current job I'm working on, is all that I have, can do, or get. People lose jobs everyday. And, for some it was the best thing that could have happened to them. Because, it forced them out of comfort zones and the lack of courage they needed to believe they could do something else. I don't care to tell my boss off. I just want him to know that he isn't dealing with a dummy. And, employment labor laws and lawsuits have been brought against many. So, as long as you know policy and what a manager can or cannot do. You should be able to assert yourself.

Don't worry about the At-Will law that people quote. If it was that easy, there wouldn't be "wrongful termination" lawsuits. But, if you go in there acting like an aggressive, disrespectful, insubordinate fool, spewing profanity, and breaking every code of ethics set by the company; I'm sure you can expect to be shown the door. Not everyone likes a butt-kisser. If you show that you're intimidated by their ability to fire you; you will never assert yourself and you might be taking stuff that is against company policy even for the boss. You have to judge the type of boss you're dealing with. Some you can talk to later when you've gathered your thoughts. Others, you can't because they're butt-holes. But, when you feel trapped instead of being miserable, just start looking for another job, until you can resign. But, be warned you might face the same thing. That's why it's best to learn how to effectively communicate with difficult people.

that is a good question....
personally i dont wanna tell my boss off, i actually have feelings for my boss... which is in some ways worse ><.
i think if they get onto you about something i think you should rationally talk to them when you know that your right. dont forget to have someone witness what you say and what happened when they got onto you about it. that way if they still make your life hell you can have proof.

- Response by amandakiss49, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Retail

So far, my boss has not done that has made me want to tell her off. I truly think she's great at what she does.

But co-workers are another topic. This friday I just couldn't believe how one of them could have her priorities so messed up.

- Response by miamaria, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

Your mouthwash ain't makin' it.

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

I had a boss who treated everyone as if they were dumb. I wanted to tell him that he should be encouraging people -- not stifling them. They would be more productive and happier .. and then he would benefit too!

I really did tell him he made me feel that way once. He was shocked and didn't know what to say. I think he actually felt badly in his own way.

- Response by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65