Do you think most dentists charge the appropriate amount and do the work you need done?
Diet & Health / 8:35 PM - Tuesday March 02, 2010

I know with doctors you can always get second opinions, but when you go to a dentist you (or I) feel obligated to listen to them, but I find it strange that I went to one dentist who found no cavities and then when I changed the other woman found several in all of my family....what do you think about this?

- Asked by christinfusion22, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

I've had cavities before, and I know I can feel one on a certain tooth, yet my dentist said I don't have one. I don't know what else to do other than get a second opinion.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Financial / Banking

There are far many people that take the oath to "do no harm" that have no issue with harming people financially.

- Response by vabyss, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

Most definitely, YES, some dentists make a habit of doing marginally or non necessary work to make money!

- Response by grinandbareit, An Engaged Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

I think most do they are cheaper than doctors if just the basic stuff. Take care of your own teeth and cleaning and x-rays are cheap... Well cavities can happen at any stage... They can happen fast too.. Maybe it was just by chance..

I think dentists are about as trustworthy as mechanic's. I've yet to find one that I actually believed and they prey on the fact that no one wants to be toothless so they know you'll believe whatever they tell you. I've had thousands of dollars in dental work and am in need of plenty more....well, at least according to my dentist anyway! lol

I think some fix things that do not need done

I'd go for a third opinion.

In any event, a few cavities in several members of your family is possible unless the first dentist found NONE in ANY of your family.

I could hardly belive the first would miss several cavities when that is how he makes his money.I don't think he would loose out on all that money.I would have to wonder if the next one didn't create them.

Yes that bothers me. I was very upset at one time when

I lived in one area and went to a dentist and had a lot of work

done. And I still needed more when I left . So I get a new

dentist and the work the "I needed" was not there. Like a

miracle all these cavities disapeared...

This really bummed me out!

One of my horseshoeing clients is a dentist, and not a young guy, either. I was describing to him what kind of crappy work people were doing in my absence last Fall, and he could relate. He sees abysmal dentists who have no idea how bad their work really is. Educating clients is a problem, because we're not really allowed to go pissing on other people's jobs.

i need to get my phat ass off to the dentist... um... i'm sure they over charge just like everybody else.

- Response by dudemcguy, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Detroit, Student

They charge way to much..

- Response by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

Sorry to say, some dentists are much hungrier than others. You can get a whole lot of expensive work done that is marginally necessary or even unnecessary.

no but insurance pays

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 22-25, New South Wales, Home Maker

Have you noticed that when you go to a new dentist, the first question they ask is "who is your insurance provider?" If you have good coverage, they will tell you that you need a lot of work done.

I've seen this first hand...my dentist retired, so when I went to the one he recommended, they showed me a couple of smudgy x-rays and told me that I had 4 cavities. I doubted this was true, because I had never had one before and I take good care of my teeth. So I got a second opinion, and turns out I had zero cavities.

By the way, the sketchy dentists will try making you sign a waiver that says all of the x-rays and whatever they take are their property and you can't take them with you. This is actually illegal (at least in Canada). You have the right to take the paperwork with you to another dentist for a second opinion.

- Response by steff81, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Teaching

Why cant you get a second opinion from another dentist? I go to a man my dad grew up with so I know he is honest. but at one point my insurance changed and I needed to go to somoene in their network. I had never had cavities my entire life and then all of a sudden I had two, which he filled but they fell out! I didn't trust him so I paid out of pocket to see my dentist to fix what he screwed up. haven't had a cavity since. I think the other guy was lying. think about it--they make more money from fillings than from just a cleaning.

so be careful and go to someone you trust won't screw you over.

- Response by ebm3, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45, Artist / Musician / Writer

I know some dentists, AND doctors, who are REALLY untrustworthy. I am highly skeptical sometimes. Fortunately my current guy seems pretty trustworthy, but it really sucks cos they can be like plumbers or car mechanics - because most people have no expertize in the area, they can tell you just about anything "oh yeah, you are going to need to get XYZ done" and its always REALLY expensive, and you just dont know if they are BSing you or not. I hate it.

- Response by xerxes, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Washington, DC, Lawyer

You know I just found out that my old dentist was filling cavities I didn't even have. Awful always get a second opinion one says you have cavities the other doesn't! :(

- Response by mrsmm, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

If anybody reading this does need expensive dental work done and feel stuck, you can seriously just go to Mexico.
The dentists go to school here in America, speak english and charge more than 75% less. Did you hear that? 75% off the price!

My parents and all their friends and lots of Northern communities know this option is smart and safe. Good luck

- Response by pretend, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

To be honest I've run into too many crooked dentists. I recall one whose "co-pay" was literally as high as the full price at another dentist. He also tried often to talk me into an extremely expensive procedure to short term save a tooth that was beyond worth to save.

- Response by canajun, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Vancouver, Self-Employed

No I think that dentists try to make as much money as possible off 'new' clients or clients they know they will get a payment from because they are dependent on the clients they have and if that means they have to find ways to make money, I'm sure they will find ways to make money...I've spent close to $50,000 on mine and my childrens' teeth and to be honest, I can't say that it was for our own health...but that's just my opinion...:D

me not having the best teeth.. nope. they are lairs and haters every one of them. joking.. I go with what I think and take my dentists words as recommendations or such

- Response by fritsberends, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 22-25, Fitness

One of them had to be wrong.

1) Either the first doctor was rushing thrugh your checkup, and missed those cavities...

OR...

2) The second doctor lied about finding cavities, as an excuse to charge more.

- Response by thundermist04167, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?