Have any of you ever had work done at a dental school?
Diet & Health / 8:05 PM - Tuesday March 02, 2010

I hurt my tooth biting into something yesterday and it's been throbbing ever since.

No insurance, and no income outside of unemployment and my student loan...but I'd hate to dig into that. It's for necessities and emergencies.

I have heard that if you go to a dental school they will see you and treat you for free. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Obviously I was misinformed about the cost, but I don't mind paying 1/4 or 1/3. I'll make that work. I have no qualms with paying a fair price for a good service. It's the gouging in the medical/dental industry that gives me the red ass. Thanks, everyone. If this doesn't subside by tomorrow I'll make an appointment. Trying to study for mid-terms with a toothache is taxing.

- Asked by vabyss, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?

I had some work done at the UCLA dental school. It was acceptable -- not as painless as my regular dentist, but good enough. They charged one third of what I would have had to pay a regular dentist.

I have a friend who had half his mouth worked on at a dental school -- $3,000 for about $18,000 worth of work -- he saved about $15,000. He said it was a little rough but the work turned out fine.

- Response by A Rebel, Male, 46-55

I, have had work done at a Dental School. They are good you get treated by a 3rd year student and they are supervised. No problems what so-ever and it's a LOT cheaper.. Best of luck..

- Response by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

Haven't been to a dental school but I have been to a beauty school. If they're anything like each other, bite the bullet and see a licensed dentist.

- Response by cubbiegal, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Chicago, Administrative

I work for a college that has a dental assisting school. We don't train dentists but only assistants. I know the students always need people to "practice" on and I'm sure dental schools do the same. Just know that their will be a fully educated and trained dentist who will be supervising anything that is done for you so it is certainly a viable option if there is a dental school in your area. Students don't get to work with humans until they have had a decent amount of training. Good luck and get yourself seen. Feel better!

- Response by psfrannie, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Medical / Dental

Some of my clients have dental schools. They treat for a reduced cost but in no way is it close to being free.

- Response by youngfuddyduddy, A Married Girl, Female, 46-55, New York, Who Cares?

If it's a good school, why not? It's not like the teachers aren't there supervising everything the students do.

As a kid, I had all my orthodontics done at Loyola University's School of Dentistry in Chicago. Yes, it was students who did the hands-on work, but every single thing they did was monitored, before and after, by the professors. My teeth turned out great, and it cost my parents 1/4 of what an orthodontist would've charged them.

You probably cracked your tooth or a filling.

You need to get to a Dentist.

Tomorrow, you could wake-up with a swollen face and a serious infection.

Go to a Dental School. You won't be a, "guinea pig"; they require Doctors to oversee the process and the Students are well trained. They just need practice.

If it helps any, I got the best of my dental care from Air Force Dentists. Some were right out of school but they did a great job.

I have Crowns from them that were supposed to last 10 years that are 25 years old.

- Response by jenny12, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

I hope someone has given you a better answer than I can give you.

My daughter tried one of those places (Nova University) and the dentist kept brushing his arm against her breasts. And when she tried again, she deliberately asked for a different dental student, but in he walked and she left.

Her girlfriend tried it and was appalled at the "factory manner" in which they conducted these "classes." So, she walked out as well.

Now, this was years ago and who knows, things may have improved and being male, they wouldn't bother you.

Above all, I hope no permanent damage has been done to your tooth. Worst case scenario, the tooth cracked. Wishing you luck....

The dental schools around here still charge you a much smaller fee for service (it's not free, but may be free where you live), and I've heard the dental work is overseen by an actual licensed Dentist. I've been told the dental work is just as good as what you'd receive at a professional dentist office. Never heard anything negative about it, so I'd at least call and get some info and go from there.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Financial / Banking

Ouch. That really sucks. I've been there.... I asked a dentist once to allow me to pay off a procedure for my daughter when i couldn't quite afford it and he allowed me to make payments over 6 months.... many are cool like that... just an idea?

- Response by timeforanoverhaul, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Managerial

i bought my dental insureance oline i think it's like 150 a year and you only pay 40% when you go to the dentist well worth it. ps you can use it right away like with in 3 days or so

- Response by misdestar, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Self-Employed