How do I remove gray stains on my white kitchen sink that were caused by an SOS pad?
House & Home / 10:37 AM - Tuesday March 02, 2010

- Asked by dianndw, Female, 56-65

It sounds like you have a porcelain sink, and an SOS pad will indeed make a mess of it, especially if it has some age behind it. The glass coating erodes ever time, and hence the marks. You can use a very fine polish with a cloth or plastic scrubby, but it will probably be temporary. There are products to re-coat the porcelain that are much more resistant to acids, and will be easier to clean after applied. Often, there are services that will do it for you for a nominal cost.
Best Wishes......:B)

- Response by beemerdoc, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Celebrity

the gray stain is caused by microscopic amount of iron rubbing off on the micro-scratch surface of the sink. First, dump the SOS and switch to the Scotch scrub sponges. Second, use some vinegar or other acid to attack the iron.

sos pads won't make stains if they did then everything will stain your sink.

- Response by pepperman46, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55