How does insurance work when you're pregnant before your husband is covered?
Married Life / 6:52 PM - Monday March 01, 2010

Let me start off by saying this is hypothetical, as I am not pregnant and not planning to be yet. However, say your husband is in a job where (after the usual 3 month period) he gets medical insurance. But--say you're pregnant in the timeframe BEFORE he gets that coverage--can the insurance company not insure the wife? Thanks for all your help. Just trying to figure out a timeline for getting pregnant.

- Asked by helayna, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

they have a clause that says they will not cover a pregnancy for X number of months after he signs up for insurance....

- Response by themamu, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, Who Cares?

Like most said it depends on state laws and the insurance companies. For some insurance companies the deciding point is when the application was made on what is considered a pre existing condition over when the coverage starts.

I have to admit in such a situation and others this is what I like about being in Canada. There is non of that or the insurance companies tendency to pick and choose what they will or won't cover. Here, it's it's medical they have to cover it ALL and coverage is from the date the application has arrived at the company/agency applicable.

- Response by canajun, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Vancouver, Self-Employed

They will cover the wife but not for the pre-existing condition(the pregnancy)

- Response by youngfuddyduddy, A Married Girl, Female, 46-55, New York, Who Cares?

yes they can say that they will not pay for the pregnancy related items because its a pre existing condition.

- Response by galdeen, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Administrative

Rules vary greatly from state to state and even policy to policy. Play it safe and don't go off BC until he has his insurance card in hand.

- Response by grinandbareit, An Engaged Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

Call the insurance company and find out. They usually have an 800 number and customer service should be able to give you the proper answer.

Insurance companies depend on healthy people paying every month just in case it is ever needed. Insurance companies hate pre-existing conditions because if people could wait until they had a problem before signing up the cost would soon bankrupt the companies. If pre-existing conditions are allowed to sign up for "insurance" then NOBODY would pay until they had a costly problem.

It all depends on the insurance company and whether or not they actually pay attention to your claims. Since pregnancy isn't an exact science there is no way for an insurance company to prove when you actually conceived so most don't fight it. For instance, I got pregnant a month before my husband and I actually got married (at the time we got married I didn't even know I was pregnant) I filed my first claim the following february and the insurance company covered it even though my baby was born that August. Technically they can refuse and some do but like I said, in most cases they push the claims through without doing the math.

- Response by A Married Girl, Female, 36-45

most company's would consider that a pre existing condition and not cover it