My girlfriend pissed me off
Dating / 7:40 PM - Saturday February 27, 2010

My girlfriend pissed me off

My birthday was the 25th on thursday. Prior to that, she asks me what I wanted. I told her "You don't have to get me anything. You're enough for me" She took that literally!! Come on!! Really?? You're not going to get your boyfriend anything for his birthday when he bought you a $150 necklace for your birthday in October?
I'm so pissed I don't know what to do. Right now I'm just playing the silent game and not talking to her or returning her calls. Can you believe her?

Update: February 27, 2010.
Screw you guys!! Everyone wants something for their birthdays. No matter what people say, get them something for their birthday especially when they bought you an expensive gift for yours!! I'm giving her the silent treatment until she figures out what she's done wrong!! This isn't enough to break up with her but I've been so pissed off the past 2 days!! PS- she has money, she's not poor or broke just inconsiderate!!

- Asked by A Career Man, Male, 29-35, Body Work

next time when she asks you what you want you need to change your reply to "surprise me", or "you know what i like"...not what you said because you clearly did not mean it.

- Response by sherocks, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Dallas, Internet / New Media

1 - happy belated birthay

2 - you're a tool.

- Response by lizarella, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25

She should have gotten you something... atleast a card. I agree with you, that probably made you feel like crappy. The thing is though she probably wasn't thinking... next time tell her to surprise you. I hope you forgive her soon.. she just didn't think about it. Good luck and happy birthday!

- Response by prettyladylady26, A Trendsetter, Female, 22-25, Food Service

You sound like a girl. You told her you didn't want a gift, and she complied with your wishes... and now you're pissed off because she didn't read your mind?

Man card pulled.

You are childish

Getting mad at someone for doing what you told them = acting like a 12 year old.

"Punishing" them by giving them the "silent treatment"= acting like a 9 year old.

Next birthday I suggest she remembers to give you a Sesame Street themed cake to match your maturity level.

- Response by playhouse933, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

You sure hand out a lot of jerk awards to people who tell you what you don't want to hear so I guess I'll get one too. You are pissed at your girlfriend for doing what you told her to do. You are bringing up the price of her present. You are calling your treatment of her as a "game"...the silent game. You sound very shallow and immature and if she's smart she'll move on to a guy who wears big boy pants.

P.S. As far as your "Screw you guys" comment, when I say I don't want anything for my birthday, I mean it. I don't play guessing games with people. You really need to grow up.

- Response by hnimsoc, A Creative, Male, 56-65, Edmonton, Retired

So YOU told her that you didn't want anything, and when she did what YOU told her to, you got pissed?

Geezus...you sound like the women on here!!

Look...I'm seriously not trying to be a bitch, but reread your post! If you wanted something, you shouldn't have told her you didn't! Come on, man. You're not being fair.

BTW...happy birthday. Besides the gift issue, I hope you had a good one. And I seriously hope that girl of yours at least got you a card and baked you a cake. ;-)

- Response by myndseye711, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Vladivostok, Celebrity

It appears she took you literally when u said "Youre enough for me" we dont have to say much for s/o to take us as such, when it comes to buying gifts.

if u care for her, dont let this be a deal breaker and in future give her some hints. I know how this goes. my last bd, former bf.was taking me to a fancy rest. but i had to cancel dur to the flu. it was never rescheduled. lol...

- Response by dreamspinner, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Chicago

Open MOUTH, Insert FOOT !!!

She's testing you - It's called HONEST!!!

You lost - so far - still time to redeem yourself - IJS!

Own what you say pal.
and be glad you have a gf who A. listens to you
B. asks you what you want and takes you at your word. That's a rare kind of respect.
Did you ever think that she was really touched by what you said and believed you, maybe planned a surprise for later

but you just failed the test and royally..
Don't, ever, say things about your heart you don't mean, especially not to your significant other.
She's there to listen to you as noone else does, NOT to second guess you.

- Response by serentan, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Artist / Musician / Writer

You sound like you're 25 going on 12. You're giving her the silent treatment for respecting YOUR wishes ...really? You have no right to treat her like crap and if you were a mature individual you would let her know why you're upset instead of acting like a child. I don't see that happening though because you don't seem to want to admit you harbor the blame for this. If your bad behavior continues you may get a belated birthday gift afterall - walking papers!

Mean what you say and say what you mean!

Sorry buddy you DO sound like a girl; I mean really, saying you don't want anything for your birthday, having a fit when she doesn't buy you anything, and then giving her the silent treatment. That's classic girl BS. Granted, she should have bought you something, but if you're playing the price comparison game this relationship does not have a bright future. Next time say "surprise me" or "get creative."

LOL maybe next time you'll remember to write her a list.

- Response by tessiewessie22, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Celebrity

I agree with you. She either should have bought you a decent gift, or taken you out to a wonderful dinner, or both. There is no excuse for being spoiled and thoughtless !! I would have treated you special, lol ! Unless she is dirt broke.

- Response by travelchic, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Self-Employed

Well it depends on HOW you said it. If you said it in an obviously joking way and she didn't catch that and decided to take it literally, then I say she's just another hypocrite woman since women are always going on and on about how men don't get hints, don't pay attention or can't tell when your joking, please.

On the flip side, I give her credit being a woman and finally taking something literally and taking a man at his word for once and not assuming that every time a man says one thing that she has to "search" for the "REAL" meaning to what he said instead just taking it at face value. Unfortunately she picked a WRONG time to start taking what you said at face value.

I don't personally celebrate birthdays much for various reasons, so people who know me know that and are ok with it.

But if I did buy her something expensive and she didn't at least get me something back I would be pissed too.

But since you technically DID say for her not to get you anything, you have to take half the blame for that yourself too. Unless she is stingy with her money and was just looking for a reason to not get you anything.

Instead of being "woman like" and pulling the silent treatment, try bringing it up to her and talk it out. She may have really thought that you didn't want anything and she might feel like crap if she finds out that you were only joking and maybe she'll end up surprising you with something soon.

What are you whining about?At least she did not forget it,like mine S/O usually do's.And I always get him something for his birthday.And love him very much.No game playing for me.He knew he screwed up when he forgot it.

- Response by A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed

Instead of having a fit about it, why not just sit down and tell her how you feel???? How is she suppose to know this if you already told her not to get you anything??? Seriously?????

- Response by debski, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Detroit, Science / Engineering

Don't say something that you don't mean, then. Sheeeeesh!!

P.S. Grow up!!!

Ok...I can see where you are coming from.

Everyone does want something for their birthday (p.s. it shouldn't matter what you got her or how much it costs...everyone wants a present) and even if my bf said he didn't want anything, I would get him something.

HOWEVER, don't say you don't want anything if you really do. She was just doing what you said. Next time, if you just don't know what you want, tell her 'anything from you will be perfect' or something to that effect.

Also, the silent treatment? It's sort of immature. I can understand you being upset but talk to her about it. I'm sure she'll figure out you're upset and why you're upset but then she will just get upset because a) not talking is immature and b) she only did what you asked.

Talk to her about it and if you do it nicely, and she realizes she's hurt your feelings, she will probably 'make it up to you' in ways you couldn't even imagine.

- Response by bermudababy, A Career Woman, Female, 26-28, Student

You're right. Most people wants something (anything, even a small card) for their birthday. But, if I want something, I will not definitely tell my guy that "you don't have to get me anything" line, because he usually take things literally. I will tell him, "anything, as long as it's from you" or "surprise me. Here's the thing mate: you said things that actually backfired to you. You said things that actually you didn't mean. You just said the sweety lines for points and unfortunately, it backfired to you. Maybe, it's time for you to reflect what you really feel for her. This is a simple mistake but it's really a big deal for you for the passed 2 days to the point of punishing her with your silent game. It's not fair, mate. Talk to her like a man. She doesn't understand. This is the reason why many relationships fail --- miscommunication and playing games. If she's important for you, you will rather talk to her about this. Be more open and honest. Good luck and belated happy birthday!

- Response by findingserendipity, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, Auckland, Medical / Dental

Did she at least get you a card? I mean you DID say not to get you anything, but that didn't exclude not doing anything either... she could have at least thought "hmmm, he doesn't want me to get anything, but maybe there is something I can do for him". She could have done other things like made you a very nice dinner, taken you out for a night on the town... I mean, I know you told her you didn't want anything, but that certainly doesn't mean there isn't something she could still "do" to ensure she at least does something for you on your birthday. I turned 25 on the 18th and told my s/o the same exact thing, "don't worry about getting me anything for my bday"... and so, he made reservations for a VERY nice restaurant and then gave me a beautiful card, and that made my day! So, she should have read in between the lines and at least done someting for you on your birthday. I just hope she at the very least got you a card.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Financial / Banking

okay so i see you are aged 29-35, not a boy, this is your birthday gift, a lesson of how valuable communication is in a relationship. So you were disappointed that you told her not to buy you a gift and she didn't, technically your fault. But not letting her know that you were hurt and giving silent treatment is not helping. As birthdays go on they are less about gifts and cake, it's more about celebrating it with the people you love! I told my boyfriend not to get me anything for my birthday, he didn't, he truly was enough for me.

- Response by Female, 29-35, Dallas

I don't blame her at all. She asked you and you said that you didn't want anything! By saying one thing and meaning another, you are playing games. That is immature and manipulative.

- Response by sunset77, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

I told my girlfriend I didn't want anything and spending the day with her was enough and meant it.

...she got me an iphone4

Lol

- Response by mikeam88, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 22-25

This happened to me to. I bought her a $200 camera and told her not to go crazy on my present. It was by birthday yesterday and I got a card. Sorry but if this were the other way around everyone would be telling me I am retarded for not buying my girl a decent present. WOMEN ARE STUPID. Im not dumping mine either but shes not getting anymore epic presents!

- Response by A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35, Tasmania, Political / Government

LOL

You crack me up. She got you EXACTLY WHAT YOU ASKED FOR and you are still not happy!!!

I agree, are you SURE you've got a pair in there? LOL

- Response by bastoid, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Sydney, Who Cares?

well,she gave you exactly what you asked for...right? So there is no reason to be pissed off.On the other hand she could of surprised you with a dinner out,or something.She is not wrong here sweetie...you are for judging her.

- Response by honeywillowsback, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Edmonton

You should have Told her. I mean, you said "don't get me anything" So she thought you Meant it! Come on now. Be mad at yourself.

Sorry, but you sound like a girl, man! You should always say what you mean and mean what you say. That's what happens when you compromise and be fake in order to "seem" nice. Haven't you learned by the posts of all of these women on here talking about situations like the one you're having now? IJS

Dude, you told her, 'You don't have to get me anything.' Why play that game? Duh!!!!

- Response by lehualani63, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Executive

this post has got to be a joke.

- Response by lushh, A Thinker, Female, 26-28

Mean what you say! Ridiculous!!! Are you sure you're not 12 years old? looks like u are to me!

- Response by lovehim1234, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Indianapolis, Retail