Could lack of sex cause depression and ill mental health?
Diet & Health / 12:08 PM - Saturday February 27, 2010

Humans are biological evolved to have sex to reproduce. As such we have evolved mental cravings in order for our bodies to reproduce and feel negative feelings when this isn't satisfied.

It's the same with hunger, we receive unpleasant feelings when our bodies tell us we need food. The same with socializing. We function and survive better in teams and groups and so crave company and again feel negative emotions when we are lonely.

So could no sex in a persons life be the root cause of depression and ill-health?

That is a definite yes; I am ready to go bomb Afghanistan, or something...

I'm sure for some it is .But some are just mentaly ill.

no i dont think it is i mean the person maybe doesnt have sex because they choose not to and that doesnt make them sick or maybe they r just waiting for the right person and there is nothing wrong with that, so no maybe if ur depress or ill it might be one of the reasons why ur not interested in sex but i dont think the lack of sex can cause all that

- Response by mindgames, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Student

I'm positive this is true. We can even look at this in such a basic form as found in the maslow's hierachy of needs. The first Need of a human being in order to acheieve a healthy happy life is a satisfied physiological state. Breathing, food, water, sleep , excreation.. and of course sex. It is a basic function of human beings ( any animal for that matter) I believe lack of sex or any negitive emotions within sex would be a very logical root of depression.

- Response by crystaltears1982, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Toronto

Absolutely. It's not a hypothetical question for me. I am married 38 years and love my wife dearly. Our intimate incounters, while never near the frequency claimed in popular surveys, has radically deminished over the last 15 years because of her lack of interest and response. Correspondingly, I have gone from a decade of being unsatisfied and unhappy, to a couple of year of sadness to now a year of depression where now even things that used to bring other sorts of fulfillment seem really valueless in comparison. If I didn't love my wife the solution would be simple. Going through the motions is insufficient for me, it's got to be real and mutual. Maybe that is asking too much.

- Response by lidarman, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Self-Employed

Depression is a serious condition ... I wouldn't go that far. But I am male and very sad, because I've found that most women after menopause just don't feel like being physical with a man anymore. Daughters, granddaughters, going shopping, travel, pets, television are all much more important to them. The man in their life is less important than cat litter. What's important to men is that they need to find something else that's interesting to them. Looking for a woman to physically love after 55 is pointless.

- Response by armin1us, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Los Angeles, Science / Engineering