Thank you for your many years of support. We want to share the news with you that after much consideration, will cease operations in its present format on October 15th. We appreciate your meaningful contributions over the years.
Back to Home

Active Questions

Wards of the state...
Family & Parenting / 3:18 PM - Friday February 26, 2010

Wards of the state...

If a judge rules an unruly teenager has to become a ward of the state and is sent to a facility, what happens to the child support?

Wouldn't the state get it?

Update: February 26, 2010.
Just to be clear, this is NOT my kid. I raised my kids without any taxpayer money but mine. But it IS my husband's teenage son who lives with his mother. He lived with us for 6 months last year, was doing great in school and was not getting in trouble. His mother moved 10 minutes away from us on the day she would've stopped getting child support because he was with us. He moved in with her, got in ALOT of trouble and is now in so much trouble it sounds like they (judge) are making him a ward of the state. I don't believe in living off the goverment - it's my money, too that goes in there! I do believe they should both pay child support though to the state or whoever.

- Asked by catscratch, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Executive

Read more about the Rating System

Yup. The state also gets child support if the custodial parent is receiving welfare benefits. It varies by state of course, but I can almost guarantee the state would get it.

- Response by myndseye711, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Managerial

Rating Received:

child support is paid to the custodial parent. and it will take another act of the court to recognize that the custody has changed. i'd immediately contact your lawyer to get this nipped in the bud. otherwise, you'll find yourself paying for months of child support that you needn't pay.

and if its your ex that's paying, contact him immediately (either through your/his lawyer or directly). and i'd just bank the money, cause you most likely will have to return it to him.

- Response by pizzatroll, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

Rating Received:

Community Rating: Community Star

"WARD OF THE STATE" Is fancy language for getting your parental rights PULLED.


My friend just went through this. JUST THIS WEEK. So I know what I'm talking about.

NO MORE CHILD SUPPORT because as a ward of the state she's no longer his kid.

- Response by hnygrl, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Managerial

Rating Received:


- Response by utahmom, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Managerial

Rating Received:


- Response by rafiki910, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, Who Cares?, Boston, Body Work

Rating Received:

i wouldn't think so. the state does not assume wards without ostensibly having the resources to pay for it.

- Response by two469, An Alternative Girl, Female, 18-21, Seattle, Science / Engineering

Rating Received:

Most likely... the state wants ALL of the money.
Judges, like to give it to the state, it's them.

- Response by fehkarfight, A Couch Potato, Male, 56-65, Who Cares?

Rating Received:

in our state they just made that law although I do not agree with it at all

- Response by bigcurt, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Pittsburgh, Self-Employed

Rating Received:

I would assume the state would get the child support. Now what I don't understand is why are they not granting custody to you and your husband instead of making him a ward of the state? So his mother is proven to be unfit, but he does still have a father? So why can't he live with the both of you? Plus you said he was doing well when he was living with the both of you! I wouldn't allow them to throw my child away like this just because the other parent is unfit!

- Response by kdtxchic30, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Rating Received: