Urinalysis Question: Do employers HAVE to announce a urinalysis
Career / 12:29 AM - Thursday February 25, 2010

in pre-hire paperwork or can they just fly you out to their location and piss test you right then and there without warning?

Thanks.

Update: February 25, 2010.
Sorry for not being more specific about this question the first time. Clearly many people misunderstood. Here's the deal: I've got a job offer and all the paperwork for the state of Utah. No where in the paperwork does it say dick-squat-doodley about a piss test.... no where. In fact the background seems to be just about the credit and the criminal background. They called me one day. And within 3 days hired me and sent me a plane ticket to get started. I'll be going to Corporate for a week. Am I to believe that they can piss test me when I get off the plane? To me, it would make no sense to go through all the hassle to fly me out and then test me... seems they would want to get that out of the way first? It is a very wierd -- quick -- process in getting this job... I'm used to HR departments going through certain steps etc etc. Its a new employer so I don't want to say "hey where's my piss test?!" on one hand and on the other hand I WANT TO KNOW that I'm going to be working for a real company that has a real HR department. Make more sense? Thanks for the legitmate feedback.

I work in Utah and have never had to have a urinalysis.

It just depends on your job and the employer.

I accepted a job in Denver, and the first day had to go give a urinalysis.

If you're concerned, pick up a test kit at your local pharmacy -- they sell them in Utah. You can test yourself for whatever you are worried about.

I was quaking in my boots with my surprise test in Denver with no warning, but the home test came out clean, so I immediately went to the lab and that one came back clean, too. It was reassuring to know the results BEFORE going to the lab that day.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Managerial

Wouldn't it be easier to not use illegal substances then have to worry about this stuff when looking for a job?

- Response by npink22, A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28

Depends on you're company's policy and what state you live in. I don't think they can just make you take a UA. Having said that if you refuse, they will probably find a way to get rid of you.

- Response by lehualani63, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Executive

No they don't have to announce it, legally most employers have their asses covered. no piss/bad piss no job.

- Response by headscratching, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

The whole point is not to warn you so it will be random. When I was tested, I was told to go as soon as possible. It had to be done within 48 hours, or you start the whole process all over again. I went right away just to get it over with. And once you are employed they can test you any time they like.

Working for the state of Utah, now I find this hard to believe that the state doesn't have its ass covered in writing in one way or the other. Regardless to answer your question yes they can give you a piss test. And although it seems backward that they would do this after you are hired it is still quit legal.
Good Luck with your new job!

Well, you GOT YOUR WARNING AND ANNOUNCEMENT. That is why they put it in the pre-hire paperwork. That, they must do, to be legal.

If you sign on to that, then they can test every single day for ten years, if that is what they desire to do. Yes, they have the absolute right.